Grumpy old men: Chipper Jones takes on Jamie Moyer

May 6, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT

Chipper Jones AP

Chipper Jones was none too happy with Jamie Moyer during Saturday’s game, not after the 49-year-old left-hander accused of him of relaying signs from second base.

The incident took place in the fifth inning, when Moyer stepped off the rubber and said a few words to Chipper at second base. MLB.com has the quotes:

“That was all on Jamie Moyer,” Jones said. “He woke a sleeping giant tonight. He started chirping and it went all downhill from there. He accused me of relaying a sign down 6-2 with a 3-0 count to Brian McCann. I have never relayed a sign to anyone while I’m on second base.”

Moyer declined to discuss the matter after the game, but Chipper had more to say:

“I don’t know what the problem was,” Jones said. “I was literally having a conversation with the shortstop [Troy Tulowitzki] when he stepped off and said that. I don’t know why he’s so paranoid. But to be honest with you, every pitch he throws is 78 [mph]. So it’s not like we really have to relay signs.”

The AJC’s David O’Brien tweeted this afternoon that Chipper said Moyer is “paranoid” about sign stealing because he comes from a team, the Philies, that always does it.

1. diehardcubbiefan4life - May 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

hahaha oh jeez. call me immature give me a million thumbs down, but I still think Jamie Moyer wins in a fight :D

• alan3008 - May 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Let’s see; Chipper is 6’4 and 230lbs and Moyer is 6’0″ and 185. Chipper is 9 years younger. My money is on Chipper if it ever happens. He would drop that old man like a bad habit.

• biasedhomer - May 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM

like he dropped his wife!

2. okwhitefalcon - May 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Get off my lawn!!!!!

3. schmedley69 - May 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

And the Braves doctored the baseball during their heyday in the ’90s:

Pot, meet kettle.

The Atlanta Braves: the whiniest organization in all of sports.

• ptfu - May 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Looks like the poster above me is whinier than the Braves. Seriously, you’re complaining about stuff that happened 15-20 years ago? Anyway, wasn’t it a Rockies pitcher who started this whole thing yesterday? At least Moyer was complaining about stuff that may or may not have happened in that same game.

• bleedgreen - May 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

To be fair, Chipper WAS on those teams, so it is still relevant. And Jamie Moyer was pitching back then too…

• schmedley69 - May 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Exactly, Chipper was on those teams so it is relevant. The Phillies weren’t involved in this dustup, but Larry had to bring them up, so it is my duty as a loyal Phillies fan to point out his hypocrisy. As far as I can remember, no member of the Phillies organization has ever taken a public shot at the Braves, yet the Braves are constantly taking shots at the Phillies. They whine about the dimensions of our ballpark. They whine about the fact that they can’t compete financially with us. Now they are whining about the Phillies stealing signs. Bobby Cox whined about just about every pitch that didn’t go his teams way, so it’s no surprise that the entire organization is filled with excuse makers. I respect the Braves. Very well run organization. But geez, they are always crying about something, and it usually involves the Phillies. I guess we are in their heads.

• metalhead65 - May 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

sorry but that title belongs to that team in st. louis.

• Reflex - May 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM

And whiniest fan goes to that team in Cinci….

• stlouis1baseball - May 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Keep whining about the Cardinals Plastichead. And the irony is lost on you. Outstanding!

4. alexo0 - May 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

schmedley69 = phillies phan

• schmedley69 - May 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Very good. How did you figure that one out?

• cltjump - May 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Your whining about the Braves.

• alexo0 - May 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

It was the overall lack of “Natitude”, a common trait amongst phans.

5. alan3008 - May 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

“But to be honest with you, every pitch he throws is 78 [mph]. So it’s not like we really have to relay signs.”
    ___

LMAO. That is so funny. Go Chipper.

6. bla bla bla - May 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Sorry, schmedley, but the Braves don’t even come close. It’s the Cardinals hands down. Every team they ever played cheated… in every game. Even the respective stadium staffs and grounds crews were in on these conspiracies. Everything from turning up the lights to lowering the mound.

I’m going to go ahead and predict that some of their classy fans will whine all over this post. You might think that it won’t happen due to my prediction, but it will. They simply cannot resist an opportunity to whine.

• okwhitefalcon - May 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Success breediing contempt again I see..

11 World Series Championships, 18 National League pennants.

I prefer to gloat.

• bla bla bla - May 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

It’s not the success that breeds contempt, it’s the douchiness. Unfortunately, you river rats can’t seem to have the former without the latter.

• stex52 - May 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

How did this get about St. Louis anyway? Jealousy?

I do think Chipper could tone it down some.

• okwhitefalcon - May 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Yes stex, the road to this leading to STL was indeed driven by jealousy and steered that way by the usual suspects.

Typical..

• schmedley69 - May 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Maybe we’ll have to have a whine-off to determine the real winner (or should I say whiner).

• stlouis1baseball - May 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Success breeds jealousy Chumpstain!

7. HitsDingers - May 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

This whiner can’t retire fast enough

8. aceshigh11 - May 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

C’mon, Chipper…tell us how you REALLY feel. Don’t hold back.

9. biasedhomer - May 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Notice how he says he has never relayed signs from “second base.” Added in that 2B part, when it is not needed, makes you wonder

• The Baseball Idiot - May 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Where else is he going to relay signs from?

Do you actually know anything about baseball?

10. cltjump - May 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Fight, fight, fight!
    Okay, seriously… WTF? Chipper, while grumpy and grouchy, is a classy dude on field. I have seen him congratulate young guns on other teams and I have seen him give opposing fans balls (including last night, come to think of it). He is a nice guy. Sure, he’s got a douchey tendency at times, but don’t we all? Don’t get me wrong, I friggin’ love Jamie Moyer. But, dude, come on. Pitch and quit whining.

11. cltjump - May 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

More pitching, less bitching.

12. nflfollower - May 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Fantastic headline. May have been an obvious and easy choice, nonethless I am appreciative.

13. sfm073 - May 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

If u dont want them to steal signs then change up your signs.

14. mall0215 - May 7, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Chipper mad his team hasn’t won anything lately so he got to down the Phil’s. C’on son

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS