May 6, 2012, 11:30 PM EST
11:30 p.m. EDT update: It was announced after the game Sunday that Werth had suffered a broken left wrist. He’ll see a specialist on Monday as the Nats go about determining whether he has any ligament damage. If it’s a simple break, then 6-8 weeks is probably the best-case scenario. If there’s more damage, then he could miss 3-4 months or even the rest of the season.
Werth injured his left wrist attempting to make a sliding catch Sunday night against the Phillies and was immediately removed from the game. It’s the same wrist he had operated on twice in 2006, costing him the season.
If Werth suffered a break — and judging by the way he was holding it, it’s a possibility — he’ll probably miss a couple of months due to the injury and the Nationals will have to seriously consider bringing in some outfield help. They went after Denard Span last year and could try it again with the Twins already seemingly having fallen out of the race. However, their primary bait for Span, closer Drew Storen, is on the DL and probably won’t interest the Twins until he returns.
Of course, Alfonso Soriano and Chone Figgins are very much up for grabs. The Nats could also try picking up a veteran from Triple-A on the cheap, like the Yankees’ Dewayne Wise, Oakland’s Brandon Moss or Houston’s Justin Ruggiano.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (237)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)