May 6, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
11:30 p.m. EDT update: It was announced after the game Sunday that Werth had suffered a broken left wrist. He’ll see a specialist on Monday as the Nats go about determining whether he has any ligament damage. If it’s a simple break, then 6-8 weeks is probably the best-case scenario. If there’s more damage, then he could miss 3-4 months or even the rest of the season.
Werth injured his left wrist attempting to make a sliding catch Sunday night against the Phillies and was immediately removed from the game. It’s the same wrist he had operated on twice in 2006, costing him the season.
If Werth suffered a break — and judging by the way he was holding it, it’s a possibility — he’ll probably miss a couple of months due to the injury and the Nationals will have to seriously consider bringing in some outfield help. They went after Denard Span last year and could try it again with the Twins already seemingly having fallen out of the race. However, their primary bait for Span, closer Drew Storen, is on the DL and probably won’t interest the Twins until he returns.
Of course, Alfonso Soriano and Chone Figgins are very much up for grabs. The Nats could also try picking up a veteran from Triple-A on the cheap, like the Yankees’ Dewayne Wise, Oakland’s Brandon Moss or Houston’s Justin Ruggiano.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)