May 6, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Matt Moore was expected to excel right away for the Rays. He would have been the overwhelming favorite for Rookie of the Year honors if not for Yu Darvish‘s presence on the Rangers, and many thought he had a good shot at the award anyway. Some thought he might quickly overtake CC Sabathia, David Price and Jon Lester to become the AL’s top left-handed starter.
It’s not working out that way, though. Moore was lit up for eight runs in 4 2/3 innings by the A’s of all teams on Sunday. He fell to 1-2 and his ERA jumped to 5.74 for the season.
Moore has performed better than those numbers suggest. Today’s outing was just the second of his six starts in which he allowed more than three runs. Still, it’s not an encouraging sign that his outings keep getting shorter. From first to last, here’s how long he’s lasted in his six starts:
6 2/3 IP @Det
6 1/3 IP @Bos
6 1/3 IP vMin
5 2/3 IP vLAA
5 IP v Sea
4 2/3 IP vOak
As you can see, those longest starts actually came against his toughest opponents. The shortest have come versus the Mariners and now the A’s.
It’s likely only a matter of time until Moore busts out. Lefties with his stuff don’t come around often, and the Rays probably aren’t having any thoughts yet of demoting him. Anyone looking to speculate in a fantasy league could do a lot worse.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)