May 6, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Matt Moore was expected to excel right away for the Rays. He would have been the overwhelming favorite for Rookie of the Year honors if not for Yu Darvish‘s presence on the Rangers, and many thought he had a good shot at the award anyway. Some thought he might quickly overtake CC Sabathia, David Price and Jon Lester to become the AL’s top left-handed starter.
It’s not working out that way, though. Moore was lit up for eight runs in 4 2/3 innings by the A’s of all teams on Sunday. He fell to 1-2 and his ERA jumped to 5.74 for the season.
Moore has performed better than those numbers suggest. Today’s outing was just the second of his six starts in which he allowed more than three runs. Still, it’s not an encouraging sign that his outings keep getting shorter. From first to last, here’s how long he’s lasted in his six starts:
6 2/3 IP @Det
6 1/3 IP @Bos
6 1/3 IP vMin
5 2/3 IP vLAA
5 IP v Sea
4 2/3 IP vOak
As you can see, those longest starts actually came against his toughest opponents. The shortest have come versus the Mariners and now the A’s.
It’s likely only a matter of time until Moore busts out. Lefties with his stuff don’t come around often, and the Rays probably aren’t having any thoughts yet of demoting him. Anyone looking to speculate in a fantasy league could do a lot worse.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)