May 6, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Matt Moore was expected to excel right away for the Rays. He would have been the overwhelming favorite for Rookie of the Year honors if not for Yu Darvish‘s presence on the Rangers, and many thought he had a good shot at the award anyway. Some thought he might quickly overtake CC Sabathia, David Price and Jon Lester to become the AL’s top left-handed starter.
It’s not working out that way, though. Moore was lit up for eight runs in 4 2/3 innings by the A’s of all teams on Sunday. He fell to 1-2 and his ERA jumped to 5.74 for the season.
Moore has performed better than those numbers suggest. Today’s outing was just the second of his six starts in which he allowed more than three runs. Still, it’s not an encouraging sign that his outings keep getting shorter. From first to last, here’s how long he’s lasted in his six starts:
6 2/3 IP @Det
6 1/3 IP @Bos
6 1/3 IP vMin
5 2/3 IP vLAA
5 IP v Sea
4 2/3 IP vOak
As you can see, those longest starts actually came against his toughest opponents. The shortest have come versus the Mariners and now the A’s.
It’s likely only a matter of time until Moore busts out. Lefties with his stuff don’t come around often, and the Rays probably aren’t having any thoughts yet of demoting him. Anyone looking to speculate in a fantasy league could do a lot worse.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)