Red Sox throw Aaron Cook on DL with left knee laceration

May 6, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT

aaron cook reuters Reuters

Veteran right-hander Aaron Cook was able to stay in the game Saturday after suffering a nasty cut on his left knee while trying to tag out the Orioles’ Chris Davis at home plate during his Red Sox debut.

But it apparently wasn’t a minor injury.

According to CSNNewEngland.com‘s Red Sox Talk, Cook was placed on the 15-disabled list Sunday morning and Andrew Miller was promoted from Triple-A Pawtucket in a corresponding move.

Cook allowed seven runs (six earned) on eight hits against the O’s. He’s likely to be out for three weeks.

1. aceshigh11 - May 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

You gotta be kidding me…

2. randygnyc - May 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

My daughter had a similar cut, below the knee, on the meaty part of the shin. 5 inches long down to the bone. The plastic surgeon stitched her up from the inside out, requiring over 200 stitches. Cook apparently had 8 or 9 stitches because they just sewed up the surface. He wasn’t concerned about cosmetics and scarring. My daughter was 8 at the time and we wanted it to look as normal as possible. Anyway, she wasn’t aloud to bear any weight for a week. After 2 weeks, blood still seeped through the stitches. 3 weeks of doing nothing sounds about right for cook. My daughter took 6 months before she could do anything really physical.

• 24missed - May 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Eek. So sorry your daughter had to go through this. It sounds like you took good care of her ~ I hope she is okay now.

3. yanks33 - May 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Redsox do what they alway do…throw a pitcher on the DL after a pathetic start

• teaspoon1731 - May 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Lester and Buchholtz have both gotten shelled and neither were placed on the DL. Idiot.

• 24missed - May 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Absolutely in agreement with you. But, I could see the RS throwing Buchholz on the DL. They said at one point he pitched through a blister and who knows what happened to his back from last year. If he just plain sucks this year, he should stay and work on his stuff. Red Sox pitching is too thin.

4. yanks33 - May 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Yea look at previous seasons and prove me wrong…They do it with Beckett every season

• 24missed - May 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

That’s right. I forgot. Sometimes, pitchers actually pitch when they are hurt or get hurt when they are pitching. So, those Red Sox might send the pitchers to the DL if they are hurt.

Maybe some of the many intelligent Yankee fans here can explain this to you.

• sabatimus - May 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM

You’re not biased at all.

5. randygnyc - May 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM

As I said, I’m familiar with this type of injury (it is serious) and recovery, but I’d agree that many teams (not just the Sox) are putting pitchers on the DL, without any “real” injuries, just to get their mechanics straightened out. I even heard a MLB channel analyst recently suggesting a pitcher (forgot who and what pitcher) be put on the DL until they get back on track. I remember it because it struck me as odd that it would be acknowledged that it’s so commonplace, but against the rules.

6. deathmonkey41 - May 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Did Valentine question his heart before he put him on the DL?

7. sabatimus - May 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM

FIRE BOBBY (clap clap clapclapclap)

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3650)