May 6, 2012, 10:19 AM EDT
Tim Stauffer is nearly ready to rejoin the Padres.
According to MLB.com’s Sarah Trotto, the 29-year-old right-hander is scheduled for one final minor league rehab start Wednesday with either Single-A Lake Elsinore or Triple-A Tucson. If it goes smoothly, he should be activated and thrust back into the San Diego starting rotation early next week.
Stauffer has been on the disabled list since the first week of April because of a strained right elbow. In his first rehab outing, he allowed two runs on six hits in 3 2/3 innings at the Single-A level. In his second, he allowed one run on six hits over five innings at Triple-A.
The 29-year-old right-hander has posted a 3.15 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in his last 268 1/3 major league frames.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)