May 6, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
Darvish struggled with his command early, but he pitched out of jams after giving up a single and a walk to start the first and a walk to start the second. He couldn’t do the same in the third. After Johnny Damon singled and Jason Kipnis walked, Asdrubal Cabrera delivered a two-run double. The Indians picked up a third run in the inning on what was ruled an infield single and an error on shortstop Elvis Andrus.
Darvsh bounced back to pitch a perfect fourth, but he gave up a homer in the fifth. He ended up allowing four runs — three earned — in six innings. He set a new high in the game with 11 strikeouts, giving him 30 K’s in his last three appearances.
Kipnis hit the homer in the fifth, making him the second major leaguer to homer off Darvish. Edwin Encarnacion was the first.
Darvish, the AL Rookie of the Month for April, is 4-1 with a 2.54 ERA through six starts.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)