May 6, 2012, 4:07 PM EST
Darvish struggled with his command early, but he pitched out of jams after giving up a single and a walk to start the first and a walk to start the second. He couldn’t do the same in the third. After Johnny Damon singled and Jason Kipnis walked, Asdrubal Cabrera delivered a two-run double. The Indians picked up a third run in the inning on what was ruled an infield single and an error on shortstop Elvis Andrus.
Darvsh bounced back to pitch a perfect fourth, but he gave up a homer in the fifth. He ended up allowing four runs — three earned — in six innings. He set a new high in the game with 11 strikeouts, giving him 30 K’s in his last three appearances.
Kipnis hit the homer in the fifth, making him the second major leaguer to homer off Darvish. Edwin Encarnacion was the first.
Darvish, the AL Rookie of the Month for April, is 4-1 with a 2.54 ERA through six starts.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)