And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

May 7, 2012, 5:44 AM EDT

Chris Davis

Orioles 9, Red Sox 6: Just your standard seventeen inning affair in which a first baseman is the winning pitcher, after throwing two shutout innings and and outfielder is the losing pitcher after giving up a three-run homer . Chris Davis shut out the Red Sox for the 16th and 17th innings, striking out two. Of course he did. Darnell McDonald gave up a three-run homer to Adam Jones. Of course he did. J.J. Hardy had two homers. The game took six hours and seven minutes. Mercy.

Angels 4, Blue Jays 3: Albert Pujols hit a homer, so we can quit keeping track of that I suppose. Guess now we can see how long it takes for his average to get above the Mendoza Line.

Indians 4, Rangers 2: Yu Darvish struck out eleven Indians but still got the loss because, strikeouts aside, walking four and giving up six hits in six innings while throwing 112 pitches isn’t a study in efficiency. The Indians three-run third inning started when a Johnny Damon popup fell in after getting lost in the sun. Here’s Darvish, after the game through an interpreter:

“If the ball goes into the sun, what can you do?”

I’d like to think that he listened to “A Saucerful of Secrets” right before this game, but I kinda doubt it.

Braves 7, Rockies 2: The sweep. What a nutso series. I thought they had a humidor or something, but by the time yesterday’s game got started I was totally of the mindset that a six run deficit didn’t matter any. Overall the Braves scored 29 runs in this three-game series. On the pitching side, some order was restored in this one with Brandon Beachy allowing only a couple of runs in six and a third.

Marlins 6, Padres 3: Tied at two until the Fish put up a four-run eighth inning. Thankfully, however, the Padres scored one in the bottom of the inning, creating a save situation and allowing us to watch someone besides Heath Bell handle the ninth. Edward Mujica gets the save.

Mariners 5, Twins 2:  Hector Noesi took a shutout into the seventh and Jesus Montero hit a two-run double. If you told this to a Yankees fan a year ago …

Cardinals 8, Astros 1: Tyler Greene hit two homers, the Cardinals salvaged one in the series and, more importantly, Adam Wainwright looked good, with good command for really the first time all season.

Yankees 10, Royals 4: Robinson Cano hit a grand slam, Alex Rodriguez hit a three-run shot and Nick Swisher hit a solo homer, breaking the Yankees offense out of a slump. We knew the offense was going to figure it out soon enough. We were less sure of Phil Hughes, but he turned in his best start of the season, allowing three runs over six and two thirds and striking out seven.

Reds 5, Pirates 3: This is why the Reds traded so much talent for Mat Latos: six innings, two hits, no runs and eleven strikeouts.

Athletics 9, Rays 5: Of course Brandon Inge hit a three-run homer and drove in four. We all know he’d do that against Matt Moore. Who we also predicted would give up eight runs.  We all talked about this during the big pregame show. It was my Master Lock “Lock of the Week.”

Mets 3, Diamondbacks 1: R.A. Dickey was on point (8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER). Assuming knuckleballers have points. I think of them as having weird concave places and a lot of swirly bits.

Giants 4, Brewers 3: Matt Cain struck out ten in seven innings but the bullpen couldn’t hold the one-run lead. Tim Dillard walked two and gave up two hits to blow the game in the 11th. Because — all together now! — you can’t use your closer in a tie game on the road!

Tigers 3, White Sox 1: The Tigers offense still isn’t clicking, but solo homers by Austin JacksonPrince Fielder and Andy Dirks were all Rick Porcello (6.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER) and four relievers needed to take care of the Sox.

Cubs 4, Dodgers 3: A walkoff walk to David DeJesus in the 11th. By the way: is it just me, or are there an inordinate number of extra inning games this year? Seems like a lot. Someone who has some research-fu, tell me if I’m nuts.

Phillies 9, Nationals 3: True fact: Natitude is still only 66.6% effective. Hunter Pence had four RBI.  Cole Hamels allowed one run in eight innings and struck out eight. And likely got himself a suspension for admitting that he’s kind of a  jerk.

1. phillyphreak - May 7, 2012 at 6:52 AM

“likely got himself a suspension for admitting that he’s kind of a jerk.”

Trollolololol!

• Francisco (FC) - May 7, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Hamels should get one and so should Zimmerman. The former for starting this nonsense and the latter for propagating it, when it was completely unnecessary. Hamels could have easily come around to score.

Besides which, Harper already got back at Hamels the right way: by playing the game and showing that Hamels’ stupidity cost Philly a run (way to go there Cole, it’s not like your offense has trouble scoring runs for you does it? I guess he had a crystal ball that told him Pence would belt two homers).

• georgia - May 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM

The one argument about Hamels plunking Harper that I kind of like is the whole “starting a new rivalry” thing between the Nats and Phils. I’m mostly against beaning batters (completely against head or knee shots), so don’t ask me why I somewhat like that particular argument.

In this particular instance, I don’t think Zimmerman should have responded after Hamels looked pretty bad when Harper stole home. If Hamels really did want to “welcome Harper” to the big leagues, then I’m pretty sure Harper’s response was something like “glad to be here (scoring runs)”. It should have ended right there.

If Hamels does get a suspension (for his somewhat loud mouth), then Zimmerman should too. Didn’t he aim for the legs?

• Francisco (FC) - May 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Zimmerman should but he won’t because unlike Hamels he has the presence of mind to not say such things out loud.

2. Old Gator - May 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Make that six in a row for the Macondoans, who now have established their own personal Gallipoli beachhead upon the upper surface of the strange attractor. The Mujic Man hummed a few past the Fryers and the game was history – but it is worth mentioning that former Feesherman John Baker ably abetted his onceuponatime teammates’ cause by allowing a couple of passed balls, both of which permitted Rainbow Warriors to score. I have some kind of mental block – perhaps a tad of encroaching dementia; at my age, one never knows, or at least, rarely remembers (although you do look familiar somehow – no, no, not you, you, the one with no hair) – against recalling the name of this poor rookie Benedictine peetcher from Palm Beach county, whose first major league batter, the Iron Giant, greeted him with a blast that, unlike the North Korean ICBM wannabe, staged successfully thrice and landed up in the seats where it was supposed to, and now in his second inning of work, his own catcher sabotages him repeatedly. A hearty slap on the back and a welcome to the show, kid. If you’re feeling a little shellshocked, no one can blame you – but I’ve got Mike Maroth’s phone number for you if you feel like you need to commiserate with somebody.

The Feesh move on to Houston. Stex, you ready for a leetle banter over the next few days?

• Francisco (FC) - May 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM

“their own personal Gallipoli beachhead ”

I take it you don’t think much of their chances.

• stex52 - May 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Do my best. Astros are actually on a 5 of 6 run. Maybe those Mayans are right about 2012.

• stex52 - May 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

You realize, of course, that bringing Ozzie to town in a bantering contest is the equivalent of tying one hand behind your back and putting on a blindfold.

• jimbo1949 - May 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Fryers?

oh, the San Diego Chicken.

• Old Gator - May 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Or as in “friars”….

3. uyf1950 - May 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Hughes looked very good for the Yankees last night. In addition to his 6 2/3 innings and 7 K’s he only allowed 1 walk and had his fastball in the 92-95 MPH range all night consistently. He did even hit 96 MPH on his 115 and final pitch of the evening even though it was taken for a HR by the Royals player. Very, very good outing by Hughes and to be honest one the Yankees needed from him and one he needed to show the Yankees. I think at least for the time being that outing kept him in the starting rotation when Andy returns and just bumped Phelps back to the bullpen.

• marinersnate - May 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

“I think at least for the time being that outing kept him in the starting rotation when Andy returns and just bumped Phelps back to the bullpen.”

For fun facts, check Andy Pettitte’s minor league numbers this season. Yanks could put him in their rotation- or they could just let Freddy Garcia start again. Either way, it should be an “upgrade”.

• uyf1950 - May 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Minor league numbers mean virtually nothing in this case. If you doubt that look at Aaron Cooks minor league numbers in Pawtucket for the Sox Triple A team this season. Then look at the shelling he took just the other day. Unlike the old Timex watch commercial he took a licking and he stopped ticking in the 3rd inning, I believe.

4. sjhaack - May 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM

What’s with the liberal use of “Mercy” as punctuation lately? It makes me read the articles like Hawk is speaking and I really don’t like it. :(

5. stex52 - May 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Saucerful of Secrets? How old are you really, Craig? About 2/3 of your musical references go back to when I was a teenager. And of all the Pink Floyd albums, probably the least public awareness.

• umrguy42 - May 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

What, you think it’s less than, say, Meddle? (Yes, I know “Echoes” comes from there, but it’s not an name most people would recognize, I think.)

(Hey, I may only be 30-something, but my college roommate introduced me to Floyd, and I’ve been hooked since :p)

• stex52 - May 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Can’t say for these days, but Meddle got a lot of play when it first came out. I own it.

• randomdigits - May 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Syd Barrett Floyd was something special. That poor crazy bastard could sure write a pop song.

• stex52 - May 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Remember when you were young, you shone like the son. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

As fitting a tribute as one could hope to have.

• umrguy42 - May 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Best I can do, I own most of their albums on CD (including Meddle, one of the first ones I got with The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon) :)

But I’m mainly talking about recognizability today.

Also, if you get the chance (and haven’t already), read Nick Mason’s book on the group, it’s pretty good.

6. wlschneider09 - May 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the Sawx should have gone to the third baseman with two on?

7. roadwearyaaron - May 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Reds, Pirates score is wrong. Cincy won 5-0.

Latos had some control problems at times but when he was on he looked dominating. A career high in strikeouts for him.

8. Jonny 5 - May 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

“And likely got himself a suspension for admitting that he’s kind of a jerk.”

I hope there was as big a deal made when Hudson Plunked Soriano intentionally in 07. After hitting 3 hr’s the previous day, we was hit by the first pitch intentionally. I don’t know why I remember it. But I do.

The way I see it, he kept it low (no chance of hitting the head), and gave away a free run. Then he got hit by Zimmerman. He already paid for it. With that said it was quite stupid to admit.

• uyf1950 - May 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

My friend, perhaps it was stupid that he admitted it. But I have to say it’s refreshing to see someone actually acceptable responsibility and be honest about it. Unlike so many. I have more respect for Hamels now that I know he’s a stand up guy.

• Jonny 5 - May 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Technically stupid. But you can’t fault the honesty either. George Washington is held as a hero for admitting he cut down that poor defenseless cherry tree in it’s prime.

• paperlions - May 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I don’t fault Hamels for his honesty, just his stupidity (throwing a baseball at someone on purpose). People get hit enough and hurt enough when hit on accident, doing it on purpose is irresponsible.

• pdowdy83 - May 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I think MLB should just give him a 4 game suspension. Cost him some money from his game checks and move on. He really forced MLB’s hand by admitting it. If they don’t do something then every other suspension will have a basis of appeal.

9. ajcardsfan - May 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Wainwright did look pretty good last night, so I was happy with that. Also, I’ll now be laying off of Tyler Greene for a while since he did a good job last night and apparently broke the jinx I thought he was putting on the team.

10. APBA Guy - May 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Ok, the most impressive thing about yesterday’s A’s game is that the are above .500 (the Strange Attractor) for the season. So far. The flurry of trades that Beane will unleash to engorge the River Cats chances at another AAA PCL title have yet to be unleashed, but those trades are only weeks away, especially with the bullpen showing off against Tampa (11 straight scoreless innings over 2 games).

One bit of pleasantness is the turning of the local media against the Wolff/Fisher ownership. Yesterday it was Scott Ostler from the Chron:

“Why would the A’s owners interrupt a good thing? Wolff and majority owner John Fisher are quite happy to sit and wait forever for a San Jose decision from Bud Selig’s blue-ribbon committee, and subsequent vote of MLB owners. While the A’s wait, Lew and John make a profit every year and watch the franchise skyrocket in value.”

11. Loose Changeup - May 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM

A few good plays that have escaped people’s attention in the BAL-BOS game:

Jones to Hardy to Wieters to throw out Byrd in the bottom of the 16th, which would have finished the game had he scored

The strikeout – CS double play to bring the game to extra innings. Wieters has a rifle.

Also, there were 9 double plays in this game.

• jimbo1949 - May 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM

“9 double plays in this game”
      Is the MD lottery still paying off for Orioles double plays? I think they pick somebody out of a drawing and they get cash for Orioles double plays? Nice payout.

• Loose Changeup - May 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I think so, though I don’t live near Merlin anymore.

Thing is, though, the O’s hit into 6 of those 9 double plays, including one each in the 12th through 15th innings.

• rarson - May 10, 2012 at 4:45 AM

They’re paying for strikeouts this year.

12. natstowngreg - May 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Random thoughts from spending last evening at Nats Park:

Nats fans shouted down the Phillies infestation with ease. That’s progress.

Hamels suspended? Why? The fundamental problem isn’t whether Hamels threw at Harper, or admitted it, or Jordan Zimmermann retaliated. The problem is the baseball culture that says, under certain circumstances, it’s OK to throw at batters.

Jayson Werth was hitting much better thus far this season. This hurts, literally and figuratively. Fortunately, Ryan Zimmerman returns, but the Nats will continue to make do with good pitching and a couple of runs per game.

In case anyone is in doubt, Bryce Harper isn’t going back to Syracuse anytime soon. Never mind that he’s contributing something offensively. The Nats just don’t have enough players.

So Hamels beat the Nats again. Duh. At least the Nats won 2 of 3.

• Utley's Hair - May 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

“The problem is the baseball culture that says, under certain circumstances, it’s OK to throw at batters.”

That is the problem, and it needs to be changed. Both pitchers need to be suspended and fined, and if it goes further, ejections, more suspensions and fines need to be levied, to include management if necessary.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate