May 7, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Downs remains on the active roster for now, but the Angels put Hawkins on the DL and replaced him with Triple-A reliever David Pauley.
Just days after the Angels tried to address their struggling bullpen by acquiring hard-throwing right-hander Ernesto Frieri from the Padres they lost closer Scott Downs and setup man LaTroy Hawkins to injuries within the same of three pitches.
Downs injured his left knee reacting to a line drive hit back up the middle, at which point Hawkins came into the game and closed out a 4-3 win by catching a liner and doubling the runner off first base … but broke his right pinkie finger on the play.
There’s no timetables yet for either pitcher’s return, but Hawkins tweeted a picture of his mangled finger afterward and seemed pretty frustrated about his status. Their injuries open the door for demoted former closer Jordan Walden to reclaim ninth-inning duties or manager Mike Scioscia could turn to the newcomer Frieri in save situations already.
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 4
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 4
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 4
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 1
- Andrew McCutchen scratched from Pirates’ starting lineup 5
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Blue Jays-Yankees finale scrubbed by rain