May 7, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
UPDATE: Downs remains on the active roster for now, but the Angels put Hawkins on the DL and replaced him with Triple-A reliever David Pauley.
Just days after the Angels tried to address their struggling bullpen by acquiring hard-throwing right-hander Ernesto Frieri from the Padres they lost closer Scott Downs and setup man LaTroy Hawkins to injuries within the same of three pitches.
Downs injured his left knee reacting to a line drive hit back up the middle, at which point Hawkins came into the game and closed out a 4-3 win by catching a liner and doubling the runner off first base … but broke his right pinkie finger on the play.
There’s no timetables yet for either pitcher’s return, but Hawkins tweeted a picture of his mangled finger afterward and seemed pretty frustrated about his status. Their injuries open the door for demoted former closer Jordan Walden to reclaim ninth-inning duties or manager Mike Scioscia could turn to the newcomer Frieri in save situations already.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)