May 7, 2012, 7:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was rained out tonight, so Gardner won’t begin his rehab assignment until tomorrow.
Gardner is expected to play two rehab games, so he won’t rejoin the Yankees until Thursday at the earliest.
12:48 PM: Brett Gardner wasn’t ready to come off the disabled list when eligible last week, but the Yankees left fielder is very close to returning from an elbow injury.
Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York reports that Gardner will begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight at Triple-A, with manager Joe Girardi indicating that he may only need 2-3 games there before rejoining the Yankees’ lineup.
Gardner has been out since April 18 and his absence combined with Nick Swisher also getting hurt has led to the Yankees turning to the likes of Eduardo Nunez, Jayson Nix, and DeWayne Wise in the outfield corners.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)