May 7, 2012, 7:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was rained out tonight, so Gardner won’t begin his rehab assignment until tomorrow.
Gardner is expected to play two rehab games, so he won’t rejoin the Yankees until Thursday at the earliest.
12:48 PM: Brett Gardner wasn’t ready to come off the disabled list when eligible last week, but the Yankees left fielder is very close to returning from an elbow injury.
Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York reports that Gardner will begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight at Triple-A, with manager Joe Girardi indicating that he may only need 2-3 games there before rejoining the Yankees’ lineup.
Gardner has been out since April 18 and his absence combined with Nick Swisher also getting hurt has led to the Yankees turning to the likes of Eduardo Nunez, Jayson Nix, and DeWayne Wise in the outfield corners.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)