May 7, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
For the second time in a week the Brewers have lost an everyday player to a torn ACL.
Season-ending surgery is likely, but the Brewers announced that Gonzalez will rest for a week before making an official decision. As a 35-year-old whose hitting isn’t good enough to keep him in the majors if his range and athleticism decline Gonzalez could be facing the end of his career.
Cesar Izturis will take over as Milwaukee’s starting shortstop and like Gonzalez his value is almost all dependent on defense, as the 32-year-old hasn’t topped a .650 OPS since 2004 and missed most of last season with elbow and groin injuries.
And at some point soon the Brewers will probably be in the market for a first baseman and a shortstop.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)