May 7, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo should be happy, as he called for Hamels to be suspended along with calling Hamels a whole bunch of names, including “classless” and “gutless” and “chickens**t” and “fake tough.”
In reality though it just means Hamels’ next start will likely be delayed by one day and because the Phillies are off Thursday they could simply pitch Roy Halladay on regular rest Saturday and not even have to use a spot starter.
Obviously pitchers intentionally throw at batters all the time, but the five-game suspension means it might be a while before another pitcher actually admits it.
UPDATE: Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that Hamels will not appeal the suspension, so he’ll be eligible to start Sunday.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4