May 7, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo should be happy, as he called for Hamels to be suspended along with calling Hamels a whole bunch of names, including “classless” and “gutless” and “chickens**t” and “fake tough.”
In reality though it just means Hamels’ next start will likely be delayed by one day and because the Phillies are off Thursday they could simply pitch Roy Halladay on regular rest Saturday and not even have to use a spot starter.
Obviously pitchers intentionally throw at batters all the time, but the five-game suspension means it might be a while before another pitcher actually admits it.
UPDATE: Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that Hamels will not appeal the suspension, so he’ll be eligible to start Sunday.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 13
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 14
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)