May 7, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The Hamels stuff has been fun today. The upshot, based on the comments: I’m a big wimp who never played baseball and I hate the Phillies and I should stop whining and Zimmerman did it too. Which is what I expected. I’m a big boy and can handle it. Of course I still haven’t seen any of the many Phillies fans in that thread say that they would take it with serene equanimity if someone intentionally threw at Ryan Howard, but why ask for miracles?
There have been some thought-provoking comments, however, including this one from commenter danandcasey, which gets at the idea that what Hamels was doing in throwing at Harper was upholding an ancient baseball ritual or Old School Code or something:
One thing – neither Drysdale nor Gibson would have mentioned it to the press after the game. If Cole wants to be Old School, he needs to keep his mouth shut.
It’s an interesting point. Not one I have a ton of buy-in to because I don’t think that referencing guys like Drysdale and Gibson throwing at batters is a satisfying defense (yes, they were wrong to do it too). But I obviously don’t hold the majority view there. To the extent there is a deep defense of Hamels here, it’s that he was acting in a grand baseball tradition.
But it is an open question as to whether he was even adhering to that tradition when he yapped about it afterwards. Again, I don’t care one way or the other because it’s the act of throwing at the hitter, not talking about it, that I think is wrong here. But isn’t it the case that, if you’re gonna play Old School you REALLY gotta play old school and play the “musta got away from me” card?
In not doing so, it’s almoslt like Hamels wanted to make damn sure that everyone knew he was acting Old School. Which, when you think about it, really isn’t an Old School kind of thing to do, is it?
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 38
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 66
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)