Is there any chance of Mariano Rivera returning this year?

May 7, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

Mariano Rivera AP

Now that Mariano Rivera has said he plans to rehab his torn ACL and pitch next season the natural question is whether there’s any chance he could return this year.

One recent example of a pitcher coming back from a torn ACL in the same season is Yovani Gallardo of the Brewers, who suffered the injury on May 1, 2008 and was back in the Brewers’ rotation on September 25. And then he even started the Brewers’ first playoff game.

Rivera suffered his torn ACL on May 3, so he essentially has as much time left in the season as Gallardo did in 2008, but of course Gallardo was 22 years old and Rivera is 42.

Asked about Rivera’s chances of throwing another pitch for the Yankees this season, manager Joe Girardi replied “doubtful” and even cited Gallardo’s situation before saying that “you worry about the strength and the stability of the leg, it’s a big part of pitching and it would be a concern.”

Obviously no one is counting on Rivera pitching again in 2012, but it’s interesting that the door is still open at least a crack.

1. cur68 - May 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

What I’ve been wondering since his knee self destructed was if tries The Colon Procedure (PRP and stem cell treatment) on his knee. This has to have been suggested by now to him (and, if not, will someone please get on with suggesting it to him?). The only questions are, will he go for it and, if he does, will it work? I hope he does try it. Its not illegal, worked for The Dugong, and might get him back sooner than September. Good luck to ya, Mo.

• stex52 - May 7, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Took me a minute. You said “Colon Procedure” and I was trying to figure out how that would help a knee. Right general area, but about two feet north.

• cur68 - May 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM

The Dugong has great square handle, eh? A mite confusing anatomically, but comically so.

2. baron30 - May 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I would say he gets the “Kobe” procedure not the Colon procedure.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM

How many relief pitchers would you take over a 1-legged Rivera? Maybe 5 or 6 at most. It seems like he has a shot.

4. 1historian - May 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM

5. mrfloydpink - May 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Did somebody say “crack”?

Signed,

Dwight Gooden

6. randygnyc - May 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I said it the day he decided to come back he’s got a shot. Slim, yes, but guys can come back from the patella tendon transplant in as early as 4 months. It all depends how the bone graft heals.

7. drakej541 - May 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

“bone graph???”^ I tore my ACL playing basketball in high school, and it took me a year to feel 100% on it again. But I’m not Rivera. and for your information, ACL is a ligament in your knee, not a bone!!

8. freeagentsignee - May 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM