May 7, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
Today he underwent surgery and Bill Ladson of MLB.com talked to a team source who said Werth “will be out for more than six weeks” and guessed that it would instead be “at least 12 weeks.”
That’s obviously a huge difference, as six weeks would have meant a potential late June or early July return whereas 12 weeks could knock him out until August or even September.
In his absence the Nationals are shifting Bryce Harper to right field and platooning Roger Bernadina and Xavier Nady in left field, although giving prospect Tyler Moore a crack at the starting job is also an option. Moore was exclusively a first baseman prior to this season, but recently logged a handful of starts in left field and it might be worth sacrificing some defense to get his 25-homer power into the lineup.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20