Jayson Werth wants to shut up Phillies fans

May 7, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT

Jayson Werth Getty Images

Jayson Werth is expected to miss three months after breaking his left wrist attempting a sliding catch in Philly last night, but the Phillies fans at Nationals Park gave him some extra motivation as he begins his rehab:

“After walking off the field feeling nauseous knowing my wrist was broke and hearing Philly fans yelling ‘You deserve it,’ and, ‘That’s what u get,’ I am motivated to get back quickly and see to it personally those people never walk down Broad Street in celebration again,” Werth wrote in an email to the Washington Post.

Werth played for the Phillies for four seasons and helped the club win the World Series in 2008 before taking $126 million to leave for Washington after the 2010 season. For some reason, a number of Phillies fans have taken that decision personally, even though his departure freed up the money to sign Cliff Lee and the team now has a better, younger and cheaper right fielder in Hunter Pence.

1. illbringdabeers - May 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

This game was played in Washington last night, not Philly. He walked off the field at Nationals Park, not Citizens Bank Park. Sweet reporting though…

• mississippimusicman - May 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM

CBP South effect has him confused.

• baseballisboring - May 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Yeah but there were a bunch of Phillies fans there. You could have just made a polite correction instead of missing the whole point of the article. The whole thing was off by one word.

• benne8686 - May 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Well the Phillies have 1.5 home parks. Citizens Bank + 0.5 of Nationals Park

• bigleagues - May 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Don’t forget roughly 1/2 of Citi Field and about 80% of PNC . . .

• Matthew Pouliot - May 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Duh. Whoops.

• Utley's Hair - May 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM

You still have him sliding “in Philly,” rather than in DC or against Philly. No worries, though. Some of us can use our brains and actually figure it out. :P

• jjschiller - May 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM

You, sir, are a total dingle-berry.

2. pjmitch - May 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM

And your last sentence is why Philly fans are stupid. It’s the best thing that ever happened to them.

Why get the guy fired up to come back at you with a vengence? Oh well, I’m sure those Philly fans that made the comments feel better about themselves and their misreable lives now so all is well

• jjschiller - May 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Yeah, seriously. When the games over, he still gets paid. They just get back on their charter bus to Dirty-New Jersey.

• jimeejohnson - May 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM

New Jersey is not called the Garden State for nothing. What exit?

• seannymc12 - May 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Wow dude you are right about philly fans being idiots. But dont think it doesnt happen in every ballpark in america its just easy to say typical philly fans. I.e. san francisco fan getting stomped by dodger fans so get your facts straight. And for you to say dirty jersey dude thas the biggest load of crap in the world jackass. Have you ever been to jersey nope cause if you had you would see its not dirty. Actually its very clean except for some parts like camden and the outskirts of new york so Dont talk unless u know check out south jersery bro before You come poppin off about my state. And just incase you didnt know philly is in pa moroon get it straight. Check out moorestown where I live most intriging and best town to live in the country look it up dude before you run that mouth of yours. You see dont get it twisted those few drunk fake fans make us real fans look bad thats why I dont bring my son to games. Dont let jersey shore idiots upscure your outlook on jersey either I have lived in nc sc texas and there some dirty states dusty and just plan trailer park trash all over so get at me if You want a tour of jersey we got it all mountains forest cities country beaches so like I said get it straight but your probably to broke to live in jersey anyway taxes are to mch for bottom feeders.

• jjschiller - May 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Wow dude your critical thinking skills could use some work.

I was calling Philadelphia “Dirty-New Jersey.”

I can’t really make out much of what you wrote here; you appear to have dribbled all over your keyboard.

• b7p19 - May 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

“It’s the best thing that ever happened to them.” Actually, that time that Werth helped lead them to their first World Championship in 25 years was better than him leaving. It amazes me that Phillies fans have forgotten so soon how important Jason was to that title. Oh well. I’m a Padres fan that will likely never get to have that joy, so maybe i’m just a little bitter.

• modogg42 - May 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM

i’m a Phillies fan, and for the life of me i can’t figure out why some Phillies fans enjoy booing Werth. it is always the dopey one’s though, who can’t name you a player on the team before 2008. i was happy the guy got paid. Now Scott Rolen and JD drew are another matter

• 18thstreet - May 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

JD Drew was vindicated. The Phillies should have paid him what he was worth.

3. goskinsvt - May 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Stay classy Philly fans…

• halladayslabia - May 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Great line.

Go elect another crackhead mayor Nationals fans. Want to know why you have no representatives? Marion Barry. That’s why.

• jimeejohnson - May 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Nobody’s perfect. Your username is proof. Bringing politics into a baseball discusion reeks of partisan bullshit.

• halladayslabia - May 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Your NASCAR name reeks of moonshine and Marlboros.

Git R Done

• Utley's Hair - May 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Yeah, ’cause a couple smacked a$$es represent the entire fanbase. Moron.

4. mississippimusicman - May 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Stay classy, Phillies fans. Way to disprove a reputation.

I’m just waiting for the first post defending the behavior of the ones gloating over his injury.

• Utley's Hair - May 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM

As I said above to another poster:

Yeah, ’cause a couple smacked a$$es represent the entire fanbase. Moron.

5. natstowngreg - May 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

The Phillies fans in the club level applauded Werth, for the most part. What Werth heard was the more obnoxious fans near the field. IMHO, he’s taking it the right way — recover and exact his revenge on the field.

6. thefacts121 - May 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Two things:

1) As a Phillies fan, I have nothing but fond memories of Werth’s time in Philadelphia, do not blame him in the slightest for signing elsewhere for more money than the Phillies were offering, and wish him all the best for a speedy and productive recovery.

2) He obviously does not read HBT. If he did he’d know those were not Phillies fans heckling him since only Nationals fans were in attendance.

7. randygnyc - May 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Even players, former and present, know that Philly fans are bottom of the barrel trash. This coming from someone who despises Werth.

8. bigleagues - May 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Well, ya know, they are Philly Phans.

We cannot expect them to understand the complexities involved with addition by subtraction.

9. 18thstreet - May 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I really don’t understand why Phillies fans boo Werth. The Phillies made it clear they’d rather have Ryan Howard, and Werth got his payday elsewhere. It’s not like Werth spurned a high-dollar offer from Philadelphia.

That Werth gets booed so mercilessly in Philadelphia is one of the reasons I hate Phillies’ fans.

• xmatt0926x - May 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

18thstreet, what are you talking about? Call the fans that heckled him after he broke his wrist trash. Thats what they are. But what the heck are you talking about as far as him being booed mercilessly in Philly? He got a standing ovation and then after he was booed sporadically. He acknowledged the cheers afterwards and said he was fine with being booed once the initial cheers were done since he was an opposing player. Don’t make your point by totally making stuff up. You said in an earlier post today that you stand on any side against the Phillies and it’s obvious in your comments. There’s no excuse for whoever heckled him yesterday. Other than that you obviously are just too biased and likely didn’t even see Werth’s first return to Philly. He literally stepped out of the box and acknowledged the ovation he received.

• 18thstreet - May 7, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I stand corrected, but that’s not my memory. Apologies if I’m wrong.

10. chiadam - May 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Do we need to be told anymore that Philly is a cesspool of human garbage and toxic hatred? I say no. But there was one time when I really enjoyed the typical Philly booing. It was when they booed Bettman as he handed the Cup to Jonathan Toews. Maybe Chris Pronger and his busted head got what he deserved, too.

• bowens3181 - May 8, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Wow, I’m not usually the type to wish harm upon someone else, let alone someone I do not know, but to say that Chris Pronger deserved to have a career-threatening, life-altering and incredibly painful head trauma is one of the most despicable things I have read in any of the comments on this site. So with that disclaimer, I hope that one day someone smashes you really hard in the head, and that you are forced to go through exactly what Pronger is going through, because trust me, if anyone deserves it now, it’s you.

• cleverbob - May 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Thanks for showing us Philly fans how to “stay classy”.

11. udub - May 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I don’t get Philly fans. Would they rather have Werth back but no Lee and Pence?

• Utley's Hair - May 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM

12. bigxrob - May 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I am a phillies fan, and I never booed Werth. I enjoyed watching him play for Philly while he was here and I would have signed that contract with the Nats, same as him. Two points:
    1. Saying “all Phillies fans” is a gross generalization
    2. What is wrong with some of theses Phillie fans?

• mississippimusicman - May 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I never meant to imply that ALL Phillies fans are like that. You have to admit, though, that your outliers are pretty extreme.

• modogg42 - May 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

it really is the drunk idiots who started following the team a year or 2 ago. it makes no sense to me either, and i’m happy for Werth, but i have seen dopes boo him at games. luckily it is a minority, but what are you more likely to hear on TV, the fan watching the game or the drunk idiot screaming random things at guys like Werth?

• bigxrob - May 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I do think they are extreme, but I don’t believe it is much different than a lot of other fan bases. It just gets more coverage.

• mississippimusicman - May 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I haven’t noticed that level of crazy at any other sporting event, even the few college football games I manage to catch, let alone from another MLB team’s fanbase.

• CJ - May 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM

mississippimusicman? Mr. Stow is on line 1.

• Utley's Hair - May 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Every team has moron fans, not just Philly teams, or the Phightins in particular.

13. eagles7to10 - May 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Seriously, there is a post EVERY day, either on this site or probasketballtalk or profootballtalk that bashes Philly and our fans. You fail to realize, we now love it! Us true fans realize we are not the only place that has mishaps but we are the only ones that it gets reported cuz the media for some reason has made is the guinea pig. But it’s ok, the rest of America can be afraid of the big bad wolf and if our reputation keeps you other bum fans out of our stadiums/fields then great, more tickets for us. So thanks.

• bigxrob - May 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM

People aren’t afraid, they just think Philadelphia sports fans are trash.

• jimeejohnson - May 7, 2012 at 7:59 PM

And they are not afraid to say it behind the anonymity of their keyboard. Those are the wussies, ok!

14. sabatimus - May 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I think Philly fans suck, but as if jeering and booing an injured player on the opposing team doesn’t happen all over the place, not just in Philly. I’ve personally been to games where it happened.

15. ocho - May 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Damn, considering that baseball may be the most superstitious sport around this may be bad news for the Phillies…Werth may have very well cursed this franchise.

• ptfu - May 7, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Sweet, Werth’s now dragging down two NL East teams. That contract is already a blight on the Nationals. The real question is, can he take down the whole division? Maybe send a case of Jobu’s rum to the Braves, Marlins, and Mets?

16. dangle13x - May 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Shocking… white trash Philly rats doing what they do best.

17. florida727 - May 7, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Philly fans booed Santa Claus. What makes you think they’d hold Werth in higher regard?

• dasher521 - May 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Point to ponder, was it Washington fans booing because they feel Werth isn’t living up to expectations of his contract?

• Utley's Hair - May 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Absolutely not!!! How would that even be possible, since Phightins Phans buy out Nationals Park every time the Phils play there. Oh…wait….

18. joshuavkidd - May 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

florida727 – thank you for proving the point… You are just another example of the ill-informed who decide to base their collective knowledge off events that occurred 40 years ago. Santa, Irving, Batteries… all decades ago but you also refuse to recognize the event that occur every year in cities all over the country. Then again, ignorance is easier than fact.

• sasquash20 - May 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Santa was drunk and that happened 50 years ago. Batteries is out of line but is something that has happened in numerous cities. As for M.Irvin he did deserve the cheers when he got hurt. And I’ll wear that as a badge of honor. That druggie was the biggest show boat on that team. Every catch he ever made he let you know about it. I wouldn’t boo Werth or cheer his injury but I wish I was there to cheer that douche bag druggie Irvin’s injury. To bad he didn’t lose his teeth maybe then we wouldn’t have to hear from that scum bag anymore.

• skids003 - May 8, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Nobody deserves to be cheered when they get hurt.

19. digitaldonnie - May 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Philly fans>Tigers fans. That’s sad. Don’t get any lower, white trashier than Philly P.A. And Pittsburgh is in that state. bwwwwhahahaha

20. benne8686 - May 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM

The people that comment obnoxiously about the city of Philadelphia and its fans are just as ignorant as the despicable fans that booed an injured Jayson Werth.

The Philly fans who paid for seats in right field or traveled in groups to Nationals stadium were partly there to heckle Werth.

• jimeejohnson - May 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM

They should take up something relaxing, like gambling. Heckling a dude for changing teams sounds like the hobby of major losers. Still, what do I know: heckling could be therapeutic if your a hateful bass-turd!

21. sasquash20 - May 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM

My buddy was at the game and he said a bunch of fans did cheer and say stuff when JW got hurt. He called me and said we are going to look bad because 10 percent of the fans are being complete douche bags. Oh well we can’t control everyone. I go by a rule with my booing, If that player was ever a part of a title for your team you can’t boo him or cheer an injury. JW was a big part of the 08 WS champs and gets a free pass in my book. Some people just can’t seem to remember how awesome that season was.

22. guppies66 - May 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I am a Phillies fan and I can say for a fact from personal knowledge, that not only are Phillies fans obnoxious idiots who feel entitled to boo anybody they want, but they are also incredibly unintelligent baseball fans. They value their right to boo even their own players, even though it can hinder their performance, more than they value helping to support their own players.
    To Jayson Werth: good luck on a healthy return and thank you for being a big part of our 2008 championship.
    To the 2012 Phillies: let’s go get another.
    To the 90% of Phillies fan idiots: you are not real fans; you are just self-entitled windbags. I wish you’d find a new team/sport to boo.

• Utley's Hair - May 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I’m a Phillies Phan, and I don’t boo opposing players, especially players that helped the team win a World Series, bringing a championship to Philadelphia after a quarter of a century and 100 pro sports seasons. Do I tell other Phans how to act? No. That’s their prerogative. Do I like it? Not at all. I teach my kids to take it out on the rival team, and NOT the individual players.

But you are painting the entire fanbase with a tainted brush. The morons are a vocal minority who, like those fans of every other damn sports team in the world, like to be the center of attention, and seek out that attention by doing stupid things. I have never had any problem with fans—Philly fans or otherwise—at any sporting event I’ve attended, with the exception of an almost runin with a couple of drunk Mets fans at the Vet. But I removed myself, and the situation went away.

Stop adding to the idiotic ramblings of Philly fans being so bad. They’re no worse than any other fanbases. They just get more coverage.

23. lancer255 - May 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Fans in the Northeast corridor are all fanatical, people just choose to focus on Philly because it easy.

24. thephilsabide - May 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM

The crowd at the Bank just cheered Josh Thole as he walked off the field after having his bell rung in the play at the plate. Wow, what vicious assholes.

• Utley's Hair - May 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Oh, please…they most certainly were not cheering him walking off the field—they were obviously cheering the fact that he was injured, ’cause, ya know, that’s all Phightins Phans ever do is cheer injuries.

25. jwp88 - May 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM

you sure it wasn’t nats fans yelling at him. after his poor first season signing that huge deal

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3363)