Skip to content

Jayson Werth wants to shut up Phillies fans

May 7, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT

Jayson Werth Getty Images

Jayson Werth is expected to miss three months after breaking his left wrist attempting a sliding catch in Philly last night, but the Phillies fans at Nationals Park gave him some extra motivation as he begins his rehab:

“After walking off the field feeling nauseous knowing my wrist was broke and hearing Philly fans yelling ‘You deserve it,’ and, ‘That’s what u get,’ I am motivated to get back quickly and see to it personally those people never walk down Broad Street in celebration again,” Werth wrote in an email to the Washington Post.

Werth played for the Phillies for four seasons and helped the club win the World Series in 2008 before taking $126 million to leave for Washington after the 2010 season. For some reason, a number of Phillies fans have taken that decision personally, even though his departure freed up the money to sign Cliff Lee and the team now has a better, younger and cheaper right fielder in Hunter Pence.

  1. flyerscup2010 - May 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM

    those weren’t phillies fans yelling, they were rowdy nationals fans showing their #natitude and taking #ourpark back

  2. dsg1616 - May 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM

    mouth breathers

  3. neveraboutveracity - May 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM

    Wow. Jaysen the overpaid baby can dish it out but he can’t take it. It seems like yesterday that he told a father and son at Citizens Bank Park to “fuck off” after they caught a foul ball that he tried to reach into the stands and snag. The ball was clearly too far inward for Werth to catch, but that didn’t stop him from taking his frustration out on a man and his young son. Werth is a crybaby who talks like he has marbles in his mouth. Plus he looks like a werewolf. Werewerth?

  4. mungman69 - May 8, 2012 at 3:34 AM

    Philly fans don’t boo any more than any other fans. AND they show up at game unlike fans in other cities.

  5. dasher521 - May 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM

    The game was played at Nationals Park. While Phillies fans travel and are well represented there, the game started at 8:00 PM due to being a national TV game. There weren’t nearly as many Phillies fans there were on a Friday night or Saturday. Every team in every sport has its share of a-hole fans. A couple of Phillies a-hole fans may have made those comments. These articles make it sound like every Phillie fan stood up and applauded Werth being injured. And that just isn’t true. I heard from some fans that were there that the Phillies fans cheered when Werth dropped the ball and stopped cheering once they realized Werth was injured.

    Hamels was wrong to hit Harper and dumb to admit it. I believe Werth spoke out of a) frustration of being injured or b) is merely trying to throw gasoline on the Phils-Nats fire. Probably the former.

    • pdowdy83 - May 8, 2012 at 9:26 AM

      It really is a shame that 5% of Phillies fans give the other 95% of them a bad rap. I am sure a lot of other teams have stupid fans too but all these articles like this are always about something stupid a Phillies fan has done. I guess it is because of the reputation of having a group of bad apples people go out and look for it and write stories but the stories like this referring to them are abundant.

  6. ermur22 - May 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM

    Jersey Blows!!!!!

  7. delawarephilliesfan - May 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM

    You know… is an emotional time for the guy, and he deserves some slack. But lets review Werths own behavior. Phillies fans forgave HIM for using profanity at a fan:

    Watch the video – guy is there with his Kid, he did not reach over the fence, he feels horrible, the kid is about to cry – and Werth drops a SECOND F-Bomb just in case the first one was missed

    And if anyone think it was heat of the momement, Werth pointedly would not apoligize the next day, despite the fact that the inning ended on the next pitch, and the Phillies won the game in the bottom of the inning.

    So Mr. Werth – do not denigrate me or the hundreds of thousands of Phillies fans because of the actions of two. You are hardly perfect yourself.

  8. mj1818 - May 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

    Philly fans will boo even if they make it to the world series and every player is hitting .290 + and they fall short of a championship and call for Manuel’s head if they won it the previous year. Philly fans expect their teams to go undefeated every year.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Top 10 MLB Player Searches
  1. G. Springer (2798)
  2. H. Ramirez (2765)
  3. G. Stanton (2749)
  4. M. Teixeira (2494)
  5. J. Baez (2484)
  1. S. Strasburg (2478)
  2. B. Crawford (2478)
  3. C. Correa (2411)
  4. H. Pence (2388)
  5. M. Sano (2191)