May 7, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
The injury occurred when Freddy Galvis hit a tapper to Bobby Parnell with runners on second and third in the bottom of the eighth inning. Parnell made the throw to Thole, who tagged Wigginton to record the out, but he took a shoulder to the face while trying to spin out of the way of the slide. Thole managed to keep the ball in his glove, but he went face-down in the dirt before team trainers rushed to his side.
Thole walked off the field under his own power to warm applause from the Philadelphia crowd, but Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that he kept telling trainers that he felt dizzy. He is currently being evaluated by doctors and will likely be sent back to New York for further testing.
If the Mets place Thole on the seven-day disabled list for concussions, they will likely promote either Rob Johnson or Lucas May from Triple-A Buffalo while Mike Nickeas will get the bulk of the playing time behind the plate.
Thole went 1-for-3 before exiting tonight’s game and is hitting .284/.356/.370 with a .726 OPS over his first 92 plate appearances this season.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (154)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)