May 7, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
The injury occurred when Freddy Galvis hit a tapper to Bobby Parnell with runners on second and third in the bottom of the eighth inning. Parnell made the throw to Thole, who tagged Wigginton to record the out, but he took a shoulder to the face while trying to spin out of the way of the slide. Thole managed to keep the ball in his glove, but he went face-down in the dirt before team trainers rushed to his side.
Thole walked off the field under his own power to warm applause from the Philadelphia crowd, but Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that he kept telling trainers that he felt dizzy. He is currently being evaluated by doctors and will likely be sent back to New York for further testing.
If the Mets place Thole on the seven-day disabled list for concussions, they will likely promote either Rob Johnson or Lucas May from Triple-A Buffalo while Mike Nickeas will get the bulk of the playing time behind the plate.
Thole went 1-for-3 before exiting tonight’s game and is hitting .284/.356/.370 with a .726 OPS over his first 92 plate appearances this season.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (190)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)