May 7, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Utility man Ronny Cedeno was already on the DL, so Justin Turner is starting at shortstop tonight despite never starting there previously in the majors and having just 53 total games at the position in the minors.
Tejada had done a very nice stepping into Jose Reyes‘ huge shoes, hitting .305 with a .762 OPS in 27 games as a 22-year-old.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Cedeno is hoping to come off the DL by the end of the week and he’ll have the starting job waiting for him.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)