Some folks in Baltimore didn’t get to see the end of yesterday’s game

May 7, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT

old TV

When you have a six hour ballgame in a three hour television slot, something has to give.  Usually it’s whatever is scheduled for after that slot.  But not in Baltimore yesterday:

The Orioles used designated hitter Chris Davis to pitch the 16th and 17th, and he got the win after a 3-run home run by centerfielder Adam Jones. The Red Sox were also pitching their DH. Except if you were watching WJZ, you missed that unbelievable finale, because the station cut away from the game at 7 p.m. (in the 15th inning) to carry “60 Minutes.”

The game was still available on MASN, and a large percentage of people — and I’d guess a majority of die-hard Orioles fans — have MASN in the area.  But not everyone does, so some folks got boned out of seeing the end of that crazy game.

But hey: Steve Kroft and Morley Safer.

1. mybrunoblog - May 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Orioles fans now have their own Heidi game.

2. bigleagues - May 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Isn’t this kind of like the tree falling in the forest?

• bigleagues - May 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I have to hand it Orioles fans . . . their team wins a few games early in the season and they all come out of the woodwork.

Can’t wait to see how engaged you remain come August.

3. plummer2512 - May 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I’m a Sox fan and I wish I hadn’t seen the end of yesterday’s game. While entertaining it was gutwrenching watching Gonzo’s effortless strike out in his last at bat…

4. ajcardsfan - May 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Apparently 60 Minutes is more important than the Orioles? Maybe if Andy Rooney was still around to do some hilarious rants, but not any more…baseball > news

5. drunkenhooliganism - May 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM

WJZ would like to formally apologize to all of the viewers that this affected, namely Steve in Dundalk

6. sdelmonte - May 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I suspect I am far from the only fan who chooses not to pay through the nose for cable, and relishes the chance to see games over the airwaves.

7. jimbo1949 - May 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I’d call WJZ and demand my money back.

8. b453841l - May 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I remember not being able to watch the 1998 World Cup Final live at 5AM–a game watched by one quarter of the people on Earth–because my local ABC affiliate chose to play Jack Van Impe Presents instead. I’m still irate.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3508)