The man falsely accused of beating Bryan Stow speaks

May 7, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT

Parole board mug shot of suspect Giovanni Ramirez

We’re really good at noticing when someone is accused of something in this country, but we’re pretty bad at noticing when their name is cleared.  Such is the case with Giovanni Ramirez, who was arrested in connection with the beating of Bryan Stow last year but … didn’t do it.

He’s a free man now, but the accusation will stick with him forever. He talked about it with J.P. Hoornstra of the L.A. Daily News:

In the meantime, Ramirez’s life was predictably affected by the public reaction to his arrest. At the time, he said, he was about to start work at a tattoo parlor. Now the 31-year-old father of one is looking for work again. He said the tattoo parlor doesn’t want him.

“My family and friends were given the cold shoulder at work just because they were associated with me,” he said. “It caused a lot of damage. It was very stressful. A lot of grief. A lot of time lost.

“That’s almost a year of my life I lost.”

The guy is certainly no angel — he has a lengthy criminal history — so it’s not necessarily the case that the false accusation was what has cost him work.  But in a world where it’s really damn hard to turn your life around once you’ve made missteps, it couldn’t have helped.

Good read.

1. SmackSaw - May 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM

He’s guilty of something.

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM

And what would that be?

• saints97 - May 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Murder, if you believe the tear drop tattoo on his face.

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Or that one of his family memebers were killed. Do a little research. Or is he guilty because he had a rap sheet, some tattoos and a shaved head?

• saints97 - May 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

It was a joke, you humorless twit.

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM

See, now you’ve gone and ruined my day! Here I was just trying to lure smacksaw out so I could pick on him.

Way to go sparky.

• chadjones27 - May 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM

It wasn’t a joke. It was an attack on him given his appearance and the mention of a previous rap sheet.

• saints97 - May 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

So, Chad, you are going to tell me that I was serious when I said he was guilty of murder because of a tattoo?

Good for you.

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Who’s the humorless twit now? You know there’s no sarcasm font on this thing, right?

• saints97 - May 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I hear you, HeyBlue. I’m not trying to ruin anyone’s day. I just find it funny that a guy with a nice rap sheet and crazy tattoos is all upset that something else has hurt his chances of finding gainful employment.

• ezthinking - May 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Saints, don’t act like that was a joke. If you thought it was, you’re a shitty comedian. If it wasn’t, you’re an asshole. Either way, embrace it.

• saints97 - May 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I guess that’s the kind of conclusions one would expect from easy thinking.

• Marty - May 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Looks like a nice guy trying to turn his life around.

Though, still… how judgmental of me. I should ask if he want’s to babysit my kids for some extra cash, like I’m sure Chad and his army of feel gooders would surely do themselves.

• ras1tafari - May 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I wouldn’t enter a baseball stadium if I knew people like this were going to be inside, especially with children.

And Yes damnit, I am stereotyping. Someone who makes themselves look like that (a gang banging murderer) leaves me no other choice.

2. icanspeel - May 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM

People tend to forget in America you are innocent until proven guilty.

Then again, with his history I can understand why people may have thought guilty.. finally a crime he was convicted of that he didn’t actually do.

• paperlions - May 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Actually, in the legal system you are innocent until proven guilty. In reality, you are either guilty or innocent regardless of the outcome of the trial and before the trial commences.

3. darthicarus - May 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I felt bad for the guy having been unfortunately put in the situation he was, until I read the last sentence of the article where he thought the Opening Day experience was “boring”.

Sadly he’s stuck in the guilty until proven innocent category, or guilty forever because someone that he was once. Where is Cole Hamels to police things when you need him, besides carrying his dog around in a backpack while watching Twilight.

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM

So clever you had to post the same thing twice on two different posts?

• darthicarus - May 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I thought everything news related today had to have a Cole Hamels reference, doesn’t it?

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Sure, but you can interject some originality, like ” if you think Cole plunking people is bad, Werth getting plunked by the outfield was downright unsportsmanlike “

• baseballisboring - May 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM

True…people who don’t like baseball should be jailed indefinitely until they change their ways. I’ve been writing my congressman daily, with limited correspondence. What happened to this world…

4. jaymidd - May 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM

So wait a minute…he’s not guilty because none of his punches landed? This basically means you can rob a bank with a fake gun and not be charged.

• heynerdlinger - May 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Huh? Where are you getting the idea he was involved in the beating at all?

• cur68 - May 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Uh, I think he’s not guilty because he wasn’t involved, wasn’t at the confrontation in the parking lot, and basically had no idea about anything til he read or saw the news next day. And then, just for people who don’t bother to get a hold of the facts before condemning the dude, he gets hauled in to the clink for it with his name released to the national media. That kind of not guilty.

5. saints97 - May 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Mr. Ramirez, may I suggest a turtle neck when applying for jobs? Also, is there enough makeup to cover up the tattoo you put on your face to signify that you have killed someone?

My apologies that a false felony accusation has made assimilating into civilized society difficult for you, though.

• jwbiii - May 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Having lots of ink is a good thing if you’re trying to get a job in the tattoo biz. Valid point about the tear drop.

• saints97 - May 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM

If he’s applying for a job as a tattoo artist, I somehow doubt a felony accusation is going to hurt his chances. That is one field that is a total meritocracy, where they are willing to look past any and all misdeeds if you can lay down good ink.

My comments were more in reference to the investment banking and human resource positions that his lawyers will surely bring up when his case against the city goes to trial.

• ezthinking - May 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Except many use it to mean they lost someone important in their life. Otheres use it to signify the years they lost sitting in prison. It’s not a fucking swastika with very little interpretation.

• saints97 - May 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I think you need to do some harder thinking, EZ. The swastika does have many interpretations. It remains widely used in Indian religions, specifically in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism, primarily as a tantric symbol to evoke ‘shakti’ or the sacred symbol of auspiciousness. The swastika is also a Chinese character used in East Asia representing eternity and Buddhism.

But if you saw it, you’d probably make the same sweeping generalization that you are condemning me for.

• ezthinking - May 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Good work on the come back Saints. Trouble is we all have Wikipedia.

“It remains widely used in Indian religions, specifically in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism, primarily as a tantric symbol to evoke ‘shakti’ or the sacred symbol of auspiciousness.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawastika

If you’re going to copy some thing, at least cite the source.

6. micker716 - May 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM

A scumbag convict, gang-member already planning his lawsuit. “Caused a lot of damage”? The incident and arrest is his badge of honor, and now he’s going to try and profit from it.

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM

So, you wouldn’t think about a lawsuit if you were him then, am I correct?

• ezthinking - May 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Scumbag poster that wants everyone else to suck it up and take it when some dipshit goes on TV and says anything he wants to show he might be working.

Stupid poster just wants thumbs up than down.

• micker716 - May 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Wow, pretty harsh Easy. This subject really seems to have struck a nerve.

7. Detroit Michael - May 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM

“He said the tattoo parlor doesn’t want him.”

Looks like it was too late for him to make extensive use of the employee discount anyway.

I’m kidding mostly. Sounds like the guy didn’t deserve this.

8. heynerdlinger - May 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Huh? Where are you reading anything close to this description?

• heynerdlinger - May 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Mis-posted.

9. xmatt0926x - May 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Cue up all the self-righteous “damn you all for being judgemental!!” comments. I hope the guy gets his life on track and it stinks that he was falsely accused but because of his history he was judged. We all do it and we do it a lot, even though some of us just choose to pretend we don’t. It’s not an excuse. It’s just human nature. I try to be fair and honest in all I do but like everyone else I’m a hypocrite at times without wanting to be and I make judgements about people when I don’t realize I’m doing it. Sometimes the holier than thou crap here is too much to take.

• cur68 - May 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

@xm: Pro-tip #1: don’t read anything you don’t wanna read.

Easy, right? So like, if the article title gives away the subject: not-guilty guy tells his story, right? You know, from vast and bitter experience, right, that you’ll get the “the self-righteous “damn you all for being judgemental(sic)!!” comments”, right? So, use Pro-Tip #1 there. This way you won’t get so offended.
      Hope this helps,
      c68.

• xmatt0926x - May 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Cur68. I could just pass on anything I don’t want to read and I will usually do that. Then there are the times where I do want to read something and comment on it with my opinion just like you do, right? You may not like it and that’s fine. I may be wrong but I’m sure you’ve written a comment or two that people also disagreed with. Easy, right? So like, you make your comments and I’ll make mine and if we don’t always agree so be it. Hopefully next time you won’t get so offended. Let’s call my suggestion Pro-Tip #2. Hope this helps.

10. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM

At least Yadier Molina is no loger saddled with the “most ridiculous neck tats ever to appear on HBT” designation.

• ThatGuy - May 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Jon Rauch says Molina ain’t got shit on him…

11. higgy5353 - May 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM

He is a piece of trash and the world would be a better place without people like him!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. foreverchipper10 - May 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I just want justice to be served for the Stow family.

Three legends off to Cooperstown