May 7, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
We’re really good at noticing when someone is accused of something in this country, but we’re pretty bad at noticing when their name is cleared. Such is the case with Giovanni Ramirez, who was arrested in connection with the beating of Bryan Stow last year but … didn’t do it.
He’s a free man now, but the accusation will stick with him forever. He talked about it with J.P. Hoornstra of the L.A. Daily News:
In the meantime, Ramirez’s life was predictably affected by the public reaction to his arrest. At the time, he said, he was about to start work at a tattoo parlor. Now the 31-year-old father of one is looking for work again. He said the tattoo parlor doesn’t want him.
“My family and friends were given the cold shoulder at work just because they were associated with me,” he said. “It caused a lot of damage. It was very stressful. A lot of grief. A lot of time lost.
“That’s almost a year of my life I lost.”
The guy is certainly no angel — he has a lengthy criminal history — so it’s not necessarily the case that the false accusation was what has cost him work. But in a world where it’s really damn hard to turn your life around once you’ve made missteps, it couldn’t have helped.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)