May 7, 2012, 12:32 PM EST
We’re really good at noticing when someone is accused of something in this country, but we’re pretty bad at noticing when their name is cleared. Such is the case with Giovanni Ramirez, who was arrested in connection with the beating of Bryan Stow last year but … didn’t do it.
He’s a free man now, but the accusation will stick with him forever. He talked about it with J.P. Hoornstra of the L.A. Daily News:
In the meantime, Ramirez’s life was predictably affected by the public reaction to his arrest. At the time, he said, he was about to start work at a tattoo parlor. Now the 31-year-old father of one is looking for work again. He said the tattoo parlor doesn’t want him.
“My family and friends were given the cold shoulder at work just because they were associated with me,” he said. “It caused a lot of damage. It was very stressful. A lot of grief. A lot of time lost.
“That’s almost a year of my life I lost.”
The guy is certainly no angel — he has a lengthy criminal history — so it’s not necessarily the case that the false accusation was what has cost him work. But in a world where it’s really damn hard to turn your life around once you’ve made missteps, it couldn’t have helped.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 8
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 30
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 92
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (92)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)