And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

May 8, 2012, 6:05 AM EDT

Justin Turner, Jordany Valdespin

Mets 5, Phillies 2: I had been agitating for Jonathan Papelbon to pitch more. Specifically in tie games.  Well, he did here and gave up a game-losing three-run homer to Jordany Valdespin. I suppose we’ll let Cholly run the team from here on out.

Marlins 4, Astros 0: Carlos Zambrano with the three-hit shutout pushes his ERA to 1.98 on the year. Guy can still pitch a little.

Reds 6, Brewers 1: Since when does Brandon Bronson Arroyo strike out nine guys in six and two thirds? I may have written this and the Angels recap before I had any coffee.

Indians 8, White Sox 6; Indians 3, White Sox 2:  I’m beginning to think that, perfecto notwithstanding, Phil Humber is not all that good (2.1 IP, 9 H, 8 ER). The second game ended in a bunch of rain. Which you play through when you’re already making up a rainout in a double header.

Angels 8, Twins 3: Alas, Jeff Jered Weaver did not pull a Johnny Vander Meer. But he could’ve. It’s the Twins we’re talking about here. He settled for one run on three hits in six innings, bringing his records to 5-0. And why I continue to write “Jeff Weaver” instead of Jered after all of these years is beyond me.

Cubs 5, Braves 1:  Bryan LaHairIan Stewart and Geovany Soto all homered off Braves pitching. Jeff Samardzija allowed only one homer, to Jason Heyward and was otherwise solid.  BTW: Samardzija hit Heyward with a pitch in the seventh. If that was intentional retaliation for the Heyward homer, it was bad, bad, bad. Then Eric O’Flaherty hit David Dejesus. If that was intentional it was bad, bad, bad too.  There: happy that I don’t simply think that Cole Hamels was in the wrong because he plays for the Phillies?

Red Sox 11, Royals 5: The Sox snap a five game losing streak behind two Will Middlebrooks home runs. Which is exactly how everyone imagined slumps would be busted in Boston this year.

Rangers 14, Orioles 3: Way to make me look bad with all of that “the O’s are getting great pitching” on the HBT Extra that will air later this morning but which was taped yesterday. Brandon Snyder homered and had six RBI.

Dodgers 9, Giants 1: Ted Lilly allowed one run on four hits and struck out six to run his record to 4-0.  L.A. scored five off the Giants pen in the eighth. I’d call the Giants pen a hot mess, but I don’t want to insult hot messes.

Mariners 3, Tigers 2: The wheels done fell off in the ninth for Detroit as Octavio Dotel — filling in for the unavailable Jose Valverde —  blew a 2-0 lead, wasting a great Doug Fister start. Dotel was all over the place, walking the first two hitters he faced, then throwing a wild pitch. Then a passed ball — which could have been ruled a wild pitch — scored a run. Then a double scored another. After Dotel was yanked a bunt and then a sac fly ended it.

Padres 3, Rockies 2: Yonder Alonso drove in two and Edinson Volquez got his first win. Let’s just give Cincinnati this victory, OK?  The Padres can have the Mat Latos win from Sunday.

Cardinals 9, Diamondbacks 6: Lance Lynn wins again after shutting out the Dbacks for five. If the season ended now he’s the NL Cy Young Award winner, right? God, I hope the season doesn’t end now. I like baseball.

1. ikedavisnose - May 8, 2012 at 6:29 AM

#Spinsanity

• fearlessleader - May 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM

#LanceLynnsanity :)

2. mgv38 - May 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Jeff Weaver? Hardly.

• mgv38 - May 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Thx for the corrections Craig. Jeff Weaver, Brandon Arroyo–hey, it’s 3am, right?

• stlouis1baseball - May 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Jeff’s got a ring.

3. Francisco (FC) - May 8, 2012 at 7:00 AM

One could argue that not pitching in a week left Pap rusty, there were opportunities to put him in during the Phillies-Nats series. Or, maybe he would have been homered against anyway.

• hittfamily - May 8, 2012 at 7:32 AM

one could argue…..blah blah bal……..papelbon lost the game.

Weak sauce putting Papelbon’s loss on the manager.

• Joe - May 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I put the loss on the Phillies’ offense–or whatever you call the guys standing there with bats in their hands, swatting helplessly at bad pitches and watching the good ones go by.

• Jonny 5 - May 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Joe, you win the washer and dryer. The phillies lack of offense is bordering on pathetic now. They get men on base then fail to drive them in time and time again. This is why Howard is NEEDED. His job is to score runs. While the RBI is labeled as a worthless stat by many stat heads, fans of the Phillies are beginning to see just how important an rbi machine like Howard is to the team. Runs are crucial to wins. Can’t have one without the other.

• Joe - May 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Yeah, without Howard and Utley (even the diminished 2010 and 2011 versions), this is a third-rate offense no matter which way Charlie juggles the lineup.

• jimbo1949 - May 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Ya never know who you’re gonna get, Papelbon or Papelbum.

4. wendell7 - May 8, 2012 at 7:01 AM

I am certainly not incapable of typos myself, but it is BRONSON Arroyo that pitches for the Reds.

5. fiveironfrenzy1 - May 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Brandon arroyo? You’re right, he doesn’t usually strike out 9.

6. hittfamily - May 8, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I really have a problem with most people’s power rankings. HBT hasn’t started them yet, but either the Rays or Braves need to be #1, and the other #2. The Rays have won 10 of 13. The Braves have the best offense in baseball, and after the first 4 games of the season, have the best record in baseball.

The Rangers have lost both of their past 2 series. The dodgers have lost both of their past 2 series.

• paperlions - May 8, 2012 at 7:49 AM

SSS

• fivetoolmike - May 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

This could have read:

POWER RANKINGS ARE IMPORTANT ON THE INTERNET

• stlouis1baseball - May 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Uhhhhhh…the Braves don’t have the best offense in Baseball.
      Hell…they don’t have the best offense in the National League.
      Check the numbers of that team in St. Louis and get back to us.

• spudchukar - May 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM

More crap out of the mouth (fingers really) of hittfamily. Do you actually check stats or does your ignorant pontifications just flow from some emotionally hopeful source. The Braves have the best offense in baseball. Really? By what standard, that you like them? This is Archie Bunker baseball commentary, and you are making a damn fool out of yourself.

As most know here, I am a rabid Cards fan, but also have developed quite an affinity for the Rays in the AL. But if I continue to be bombarded with the inanities of Rays fans like hittfamily, I may just switch my allegiance.

As for the Braves, and their #1 ranking. They trail the Cards in the standings. They are behind the Cards in batting. They are completely obliterated by the Cards in pitching, and they trail St. Louis in fielding. For the record they do lead the Red Birds in caught stealing, and strikeouts so there is that.

• foreverchipper10 - May 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM

As a Braves fan I have to disagree with them having the best offense in baseball. They had an outburst in the one Philly game and scored a bunch of runs in Coors Field over the weekend. They had a nice week but best in baseball. Psha.

*Shameless self promotion alert*

And if you really want, I put up power rankings last night in my 2nd ever blog thingamajigger. http://richwhite.hubpages.com/hub/MLB-Power-Rankings

Or you can find them literally anywhere else. I was curious as to when they might start popping up on here.

7. jimmymarlinsfan - May 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM

7 straight, the fish are playing well and need to keep it up once they finally get home…big Z looks like he is having a tremendous amount of fun thus far…how is volstad doing cubbies?

• windycity0301 - May 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Volstad is not good and won’t be around forever. But, while I can’t speak for all Cub fans, I am still thrilled he’s gone. I’m not surprised he’s doing well, but he was a cancer in Chicago. He’s a good guy with a crazy side, unfortunately, crazy is all we got the last few years. Glad he’s doing better, guess Ozzie makes a great therapist.

• Utley's Hair - May 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Ozzie speaks crazy-ese.

• Old Gator - May 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Slobbering Ozzie has been sounding…reasonable…since the world of Macondo ethnic politics coldcocked him upside the head last month. Chastened, even. They yesterday during the postgame interview, some Houston sportswriter asked him about, uh, that, and Macondo’s ranking Fidelista reverted to form and uncorked a tirade laced with some of his favorite article adjectives and adverbs all constructed from the salsa meme sing – .

Onfield, Krazy Karlos has indeed been peetching his heart out, his revivification attributable, according to him, to an epiphany he had after being booted from a game in the Venezuelan winter league. Apparently that other bearded señor appeared to him like Our Lady of Colcannon to little Francie in Butcher Boy to reassure him, “aw for fook sake Karlos, of karse yar friends love ye.” Karlos says it’s been all shimmer and effulgence in the clubhouse since he got to Macondo and he is peetching for luv’s sake. I’m more than happy to have crow as a side dish as long as he keeps buzzing his beebees past opposing batters like that, but I’m hoping that one or two anagogic images turn up on his arepas from time to time to recharge his mystification mode so his most recent vision doesn’t burn through its half-life before the postseason is out.

In other news, the Iron Giant disencumbered himself of yet another bomb last night and is really crushing those pills like a night nurse in a gerontology ward. I hope he keeps it up, because all of us want to know, just like I want to know, what Tommy is really made of.

• stex52 - May 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Told you, Gator that the Marlins would regret picking up Zambrano. That guy will just……………..oh, wait……………never mind. Thanks to the guys for reminding Houston that they have a way to go before they are good.

• jimmymarlinsfan - May 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

All due respect, I’d go crazy playing for the cubs too

8. salvomania - May 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM

“Best offense in baseball?” Please! The Braves don’t even have the best offense in the National League!

Cardinals score more runs per game, have higher average, higher OBP, higher slugging, and despite playing one fewer game, have more homers, more extra-base hits, more walks, more stolen bases, and fewer caught stealing.

And the Cardinals’ pitching is better than the Braves’, too.

9. wlschneider09 - May 8, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Dear Twins,

Thanks for getting a hit. Or two. I wasn’t looking forward to spending the week with a bag on my head. Although my wife seems to be in favor of the idea.

Cheers,

Your fans.

PS, Maybe we can work our way up to winning a few games next! Sigh.

10. Jonny 5 - May 8, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Man Craig, did you watch the Braves game? You must have missed the almost beaning that began it all, or relied on the recap. Anyway, it was more like this.

Hanson Hit a batter. Obviously by accident. Almost took the guy’s head off and I can’t remember who it was.
    Samardzija Hit a batter. Obviously on purpose. Retaliation for Hanson almost taking a guys head off earlier. Not the Heyward homer.
    O’Flaherty Hit a batter. Obviously on purpose.

And there was enough lip service to see it plain as day. I expect a scathing post about these “Jerks”. ;)

• Craig Calcaterra - May 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Didn’t see it, but yeah, not surprising. And yes, they’re jerks for throwing at each other.

11. cur68 - May 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Gorgeous weather in Kansas City for the Sox/Royals opener. Will “Who Dat” Middlebrooks gave a great many something to cheer about, but the home team came to play a little, too. Not pitch, mind you, but hit a bit and field a bit…when I say field I mean boot it about in a semi-hapless manner. It was charmingly inept. Like Little League, in fact.

FTR: took a careful look at Cody Ross sprinting around the infield in warm ups. He is not fat. Not even a little. Someone on here asserted that he was. I just saw him live and up close: a lean, mean, ballplaying machine. In high socks…excuse me: “sox”.

The KC fans love them the Royals, I have to say. They were however swamped with a pro-Sox crowd who’d clearly made the commute to take in series in fine weather, a really nice park, and much cheaper tickets, eats, and parking. They were fun a group. A lot of good looking and, I’m sure otherwise sane ladies, screaming “I love you Papi!” at Ortiz. Know what ladies? I’m sure he loves you right back. I really mean that. He probably does.

Anyhow, must push off: there’s a barbecue pit with a bib and firehose waiting for me for lunch. Why a bib and firehose you ask? You ever seen me eat barbecue ribs? I get sauce from my socks (oh dear. Again? I mean “sox” of course) to my hairline. They should just hand me one of those paper painter coveralls when I come thru the door: save us all a lot of bother.

• Jonny 5 - May 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Speaking of “when I say field I mean boot it about in a semi-hapless manner. It was charmingly inept. Like Little League, in fact.”
      This reminds me of my son’s game last night where every kid on his team had at least one error. It got to the point where all we could do was laugh at the misfortune of our children like any good parent would be obliged to do. Hey that’s baseball, and there is always another game on the horizon to make up for it.

• cur68 - May 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM

The KC crowd were VERY MUCH like good parents. No booing, lots of impromptu cheering, rally caps for a 6 run deficit in the 8th, rah-rah every time for Frenchy, there favourite hard-o-learnin’ son, and heart felt groans for Dyson’s boot, Escobar’s shoulda-been-a-boot-but-his-moms-the-scorer, and any number of swinging strikes. In fact, we sat next to a lady who may well have qualified as “Team Mom”. Sweetest lady I’ve ever met. Couldn’t understand a word she was saying but the smile on her face said it all: she loved everyone.

J5jr’s family is in good and august company.

• umrguy42 - May 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM

My wife’s family are Royals fans (more or less), being from KC originally. They were (semi-) teasing me yesterday while visiting us for a week about getting Royals gear for our new son :) Royals fans are long suffering, but with the memory of a WS win in the not-too-distant past, and especially over the cross-state Cards, to tide them over, I think :D (Also, being a 2 sport town, baseball and football, easier to keep loyalties.)

12. greej1938l - May 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM

You try way too hard to be funny sometimes my dude.

13. plummer2512 - May 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Though I don’t have any statistics to back me up but it seems like watching Pap over the years (I’m a Sox fan), don’t EVER put bring him into a tie game or a game where his team is losing. I’ve seen it over the years where he just seems not so good in those situations. I didn’t watch the Phillies game yesterday but over the years it always seemed like his intensity level wasn’t the same when he didn’t have a save opportunity. In fact, I’ve seen him come in up 4 or 5 and again his intensity level isn’t the same and he gives up some runs. I would never pitch him unless it’s a save opportunity. Anyone want to look up the stats to see if my perception is accurate?

14. Loose Changeup - May 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Brandon Snyder, playing for the Orioles: 33 AB, 9 H, 0 HR, 4 RBI
    Brandon Snyder, playing against the Orioles: 5 AB, 3 H, 1 HR, 6 RBI

15. APBA Guy - May 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I saw Papelbon’s outing in the Mets/Phillies game, and he pitched exactly like he had the past two years at Boston. Where has the “swing and miss stuff” gone? Frank Francisco had a great 9th inning, missing bats and throwing very few balls. Too bad he doesn’t do that all the time. Still, he has 8 saves already, but a Whip of 1.62. Papelbon is getting $ 11M this year (source: Cots), Francisco $ 5.5M. Pap has 9 saves and a Whip of 1.00. Since I rarely watch the National league teams, I know from watching these two closers when they were AL players that their Whip is more indicative of their true relative value.

Still, Pap had a bad night last night. He wasn’t blowing it by anyone and that 3 run HR was a little slurvy, needing to be sharper and in the dirt.

• xmatt0926x - May 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Papelbon has been perfect in save situations so I won’t complain too much. I have always hated the excuses announcers would make when a closer would get rocked in non-save situations. It never made sense to me that a good pitcher couldn’t pitch well in any situation. But, it seems to happen time and time again in baseball so over the years I have just come to accept it. I guess the adrenaline factor of pitching in the save situation means that much…I guess.

16. wondroushippo - May 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Important note from that 3-2 Padres win: Dale Thayer got the save. I suppose he’s the closer while Huston Street’s out, and I’m guessing he got it solely for having Proven Closer Facial Hair™: http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusfantasyexperts/Dale-Thayer-Getty-Images.jpg

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5091)