Bryce Harper moves to the second spot in Nationals lineup

May 8, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT

Bryce Harper Reuters

Bryce Harper joined Ken Griffey Jr., Andruw Jones, and B.J. Upton as the only 19-year-olds to bat third in a big-league game since 1980, but now he’s on the move in the Nationals’ lineup again.

Harper, who debuted as a No. 7 hitter before shifting to the No. 3 slot, is batting No. 2 tonight because Ryan Zimmerman is off the disabled list and back is his usual third spot.

Using that same since-1980 cutoff, the only previous 19-year-olds to bat second in an MLB game are Edgar Renteria, Ivan Rodriguez, Alex Rodriguez, Adrian Beltre, Jones, Griffey, and Upton. Not quite as exclusive in terms of company, but Harper is once again linked with some pretty big names.

1. darthicarus - May 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Totally unrelated to his batting position or anything to do with this (other than it’s Harper related) I hope for Bryce’s sake his first HR ball goes into a bullpen or area not occupied by fans. That will bring all sorts of articles up about what the “finder’s fee” is, what other people would do with the ball, etc. should a fan hold it ransom. Or perhaps the lucky recipient will be like the guy who got Jeter’s 3k hit and didn’t ask for the world, time will tell.

• hittfamily - May 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

That guy was an idiot. Ask me how many hundred thousand dollar favors I do for people worth a quarter billion dollars.

• stoutfiles - May 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I don’t think that guy realized just how much that ball was worth. Could have changed his life.

2. El Bravo - May 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I’m fairly certain Bryce Harper is a cake-lover. He just looks like he disses pie, doesn’t he?

• paperlions - May 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I don’t know….if memory serves, when I was 19, I couldn’t get enough pie…although I still love pie, I just can’t…um…handle as much pie as I could when I was younger. If I had to guess based on nothing but his age, I would say that Harper loves pie and can’t get enough of it.

• El Bravo - May 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Ok. You win. He’s a pie guy. Ah, I miss being 19.

3. addictedzone - May 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Edgar Renteria, Ivan Rodriguez, Alex Rodriguez, Adrian Beltre, Jones, Griffey, and Upton….find me a 2B and a P and I’ll take that lineup.

• Ben - May 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

19-year old team:

Edgar: 3.5 WAR
      Ivan: 1.0
      ARod: -0.3
      Beltre: 0.3
      Jones: 0.0
      Griffey: 2.8
      Upton: 0.1

That team would scuffle the first year, but light the world on fire every subsequent year!
      Upton’s the only odd one out there.

• Ben - May 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

And even then, Upton’s still good, just not inner-circle HOF.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3958)