Casey Blake is retiring

May 8, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Casey Blake AP

When you’re 38 years-old, you get released at the end of March and your phone barely rings between then and the middle of May, well, you’re probably not too far away from retirement.  That’s the boat Casey Blake found himself in this spring, so he’s calling it a career:

Major League Baseball veteran Casey Blake said today that he officially has decided to retire, despite starting spring training with the Colorado Rockies and fielding recent interest from the Texas Rangers.

Blake told the Des Moines Register that he has been leaning toward retiring, but stopped short of a decision until now.

“My wife (Abbie) has been telling people I’m retired, but I’ve kind of been giving her a look,” said Blake, 38, who has played parts of 13 seasons in the majors with five teams before attempting to make the roster this season with Colorado.

“But I think I knew in my heart that I am (retiring), but I just haven’t announced it.”

The women always know first.

Blake didn’t have a regular gig in the majors until he was 29, but he made the most of a late start, spending eight years, more or less, as a starting third baseman with a little time in the outfield. For his career he hit .264/.336/.442, which was good for an OPS+ of 107.

1. lanflfan - May 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

From one Dodger fan, thanks for all your gave us Casey. Enjoy your retirement (wish I could retire at 38).

It’s not his fault McAsshat made Needle Head Ned overpay to acquire him.

• willsolo - May 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM

From another Dodger fan, thank you Ned Colletti for trading Carlos Santana to get Casey Blake. The Dodgers could have had the replacement for Russell Martin instead of having A.J. Ellis as their starting catcher. Great job Ned!

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

You had some fine seasons. Enjoy the sunset.

3. jmgatskiejr - May 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM

A true professional baseball player. As a Cleveland fan who watched him get his break, capitalize on it and become a great clubhouse teammates, I will always respect Casey and thank him for reminding me the game is built on the back of guys who love the game like he did. Thank you Mr. Casey Blake for the memories.

4. marklar1025 - May 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

as a Giants fan – all I can say is good riddance. And I mean that with all due respect – dude just killed the Giants.

5. Lukehart80 - May 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

As an Indians fan who is enjoying the bejesus out of the Carlos Santana era so far, I will always have fond memories of Casey Blake.

6. savocabol1 - May 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Indians fan here, thanks Casey!

• mrstpaul - May 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM