May 8, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
When you’re 38 years-old, you get released at the end of March and your phone barely rings between then and the middle of May, well, you’re probably not too far away from retirement. That’s the boat Casey Blake found himself in this spring, so he’s calling it a career:
Major League Baseball veteran Casey Blake said today that he officially has decided to retire, despite starting spring training with the Colorado Rockies and fielding recent interest from the Texas Rangers.
Blake told the Des Moines Register that he has been leaning toward retiring, but stopped short of a decision until now.
“My wife (Abbie) has been telling people I’m retired, but I’ve kind of been giving her a look,” said Blake, 38, who has played parts of 13 seasons in the majors with five teams before attempting to make the roster this season with Colorado.
“But I think I knew in my heart that I am (retiring), but I just haven’t announced it.”
The women always know first.
Blake didn’t have a regular gig in the majors until he was 29, but he made the most of a late start, spending eight years, more or less, as a starting third baseman with a little time in the outfield. For his career he hit .264/.336/.442, which was good for an OPS+ of 107.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 21
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 12
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 20
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)