May 8, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
Dan Osterbrock was never viewed as a big-time prospect, but he did make a bit of a name for himself with the Twins. After being drafted in the seventh round in 2008, he pitched 75 innings in Rookie ball with an incredible 104/8 K/BB ratio. In 2010, he went 7-8 with a 2.73 ERA and a 79/23 K/BB ratio in 112 innings for high-A Fort Myers.
Unfortunately, that was about it for Osterbrock’s Twins career. The former Cincinnati Bearcat got off to an awful start in Double-A in 2011, got demoted back to Fort Myers and then was shut down with a shoulder injury. The Twins released him this spring.
Rather than simply fading away, though, as most released prospects tend to do, Osterbrock has had a few things to say on Twitter about his experience. On Tuesday, he underwent his second shoulder surgery and was plenty eager to share the results:
surgery went well. should be throwing soon. special thanks to the Twins for completely neglecting the obvious injury i had.
Osterbrock also has made some replies in recent weeks that demonstrate his frustration:
@csattballin Twins released me. My shoulder was hurting so instead of helping me out, they got rid of me.
Osterbrock is currently doing some high school coaching, according to his Twitter feed, but it sounds like he hasn’t given up on his major league dream. Here’s a guess: he’ll be looking to hook up with an AL Central team if he gets the chance.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)