May 8, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
Dan Osterbrock was never viewed as a big-time prospect, but he did make a bit of a name for himself with the Twins. After being drafted in the seventh round in 2008, he pitched 75 innings in Rookie ball with an incredible 104/8 K/BB ratio. In 2010, he went 7-8 with a 2.73 ERA and a 79/23 K/BB ratio in 112 innings for high-A Fort Myers.
Unfortunately, that was about it for Osterbrock’s Twins career. The former Cincinnati Bearcat got off to an awful start in Double-A in 2011, got demoted back to Fort Myers and then was shut down with a shoulder injury. The Twins released him this spring.
Rather than simply fading away, though, as most released prospects tend to do, Osterbrock has had a few things to say on Twitter about his experience. On Tuesday, he underwent his second shoulder surgery and was plenty eager to share the results:
surgery went well. should be throwing soon. special thanks to the Twins for completely neglecting the obvious injury i had.
Osterbrock also has made some replies in recent weeks that demonstrate his frustration:
@csattballin Twins released me. My shoulder was hurting so instead of helping me out, they got rid of me.
Osterbrock is currently doing some high school coaching, according to his Twitter feed, but it sounds like he hasn’t given up on his major league dream. Here’s a guess: he’ll be looking to hook up with an AL Central team if he gets the chance.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)