May 8, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
Dan Osterbrock was never viewed as a big-time prospect, but he did make a bit of a name for himself with the Twins. After being drafted in the seventh round in 2008, he pitched 75 innings in Rookie ball with an incredible 104/8 K/BB ratio. In 2010, he went 7-8 with a 2.73 ERA and a 79/23 K/BB ratio in 112 innings for high-A Fort Myers.
Unfortunately, that was about it for Osterbrock’s Twins career. The former Cincinnati Bearcat got off to an awful start in Double-A in 2011, got demoted back to Fort Myers and then was shut down with a shoulder injury. The Twins released him this spring.
Rather than simply fading away, though, as most released prospects tend to do, Osterbrock has had a few things to say on Twitter about his experience. On Tuesday, he underwent his second shoulder surgery and was plenty eager to share the results:
surgery went well. should be throwing soon. special thanks to the Twins for completely neglecting the obvious injury i had.
Osterbrock also has made some replies in recent weeks that demonstrate his frustration:
@csattballin Twins released me. My shoulder was hurting so instead of helping me out, they got rid of me.
Osterbrock is currently doing some high school coaching, according to his Twitter feed, but it sounds like he hasn’t given up on his major league dream. Here’s a guess: he’ll be looking to hook up with an AL Central team if he gets the chance.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)