May 8, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon MLB suspended Guillermo Mota for 100 games following a positive test for the performance-enhancing drug Clenbuterol, but the Giants reliever is appealing the suspension while blaming the positive result on children’s cough medicine.
Mota’s agent, Adam Katz, issued the following statement:
Players are responsible for what they put in their bodies. Guillermo understands that. A 100-game suspension for taking a children’s cough medicine that contains trace amounts of a prohibited substance, which is what happened here, is severe and unfair and does not reflect the intention of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. We will appeal it.
Not mentioned in the above statement is that Mota is a second-time offender who was suspended for 50 games after a positive PED test in 2006. And as Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com notes, “multiple offenders cannot delay their sentence while appealing it.”
In other words, he can go through the appeal process and have his case heard, but in the meantime he’ll be serving the suspension. And presumably not taking any more cough medicine intended for children.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)