May 8, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Yesterday afternoon MLB suspended Guillermo Mota for 100 games following a positive test for the performance-enhancing drug Clenbuterol, but the Giants reliever is appealing the suspension while blaming the positive result on children’s cough medicine.
Mota’s agent, Adam Katz, issued the following statement:
Players are responsible for what they put in their bodies. Guillermo understands that. A 100-game suspension for taking a children’s cough medicine that contains trace amounts of a prohibited substance, which is what happened here, is severe and unfair and does not reflect the intention of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. We will appeal it.
Not mentioned in the above statement is that Mota is a second-time offender who was suspended for 50 games after a positive PED test in 2006. And as Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com notes, “multiple offenders cannot delay their sentence while appealing it.”
In other words, he can go through the appeal process and have his case heard, but in the meantime he’ll be serving the suspension. And presumably not taking any more cough medicine intended for children.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 0
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 358
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (355)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)