May 8, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
This is scary, mostly because of how little information is actually provided. It seems that Mariano Rivera met with surgeons who were supposed to confirm his initial diagnosis and then set a date for his ACL surgery. Except … they didn’t:
“We ran into complications,’’ agent Fernando Cuza told The Post. “I am referring to Dr. Ahmad and [Yankees general manager] Brian Cashman for further information.’’
Neither Cuza nor the Yankees would elaborate on what was discovered when Rivera met with Yankees team physician Dr. Chris Ahmad, Dr. Russell Warren, the Giants’ physician, and David Altchek, the Mets’ doctor, who performed surgery on Rivera’s shoulder after the 2008 season.
I’m hoping that what happened is that they gave him and MRI and confirmed what we’ve all suspected for a long time: that he’s a cyborg, thereby making surgery unnecessary. I worry, however, that that’s not what it is.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Stanton, who hit .288 with a league-leading 37 homers and a league-leading .950 OPS before the injury, will end up missing the final 17 games of the season.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
Forget it, Jake. It’s Colorado.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
After a solid first half Teixeira has batted .179 with 43 strikeouts in 42 games since the All-Star break.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Still not as bad as his golf swing.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT
Good to see MLB make the smart call and suspend Stroman for headhunting.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The Nationals starters are getting a breather today.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Altuve is on pace for the most hits in a season since …
Sep 17, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Pedants of the World Unite!
Sep 17, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
This year he hit .264 with nine homers and a .767 OPS in 99 games, including 47 starts at catcher.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
He’ll mash lefties (hopefully) and play some first base.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Despite playing for five different teams and in general not being particularly valuable Delmon Young is headed to the playoffs for the sixth consecutive season.
Sep 17, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
When the Giants acquired Jake Peavy from the Red Sox in late July expectations were minimal.
Sep 17, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“His mindset is he wants to come back and play. Ours is, absolutely, if it can happen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
Jonathan Papelbon got seven games for the crotch-grab. Joe West gets one game for the Papelbon grab.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Another day off for the Dodgers’ ailing shortstop.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Most people either thought the O’s would lose this year or, at the very least, thought they’d win differently. Either way: they are the AL East champs.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
“Hey honey? I have some good news and some bad news . . . “
Sep 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Or, at the very least doubted his ability to turn the Orioles around.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
He has decided to add difficulty to it. Like, playing second base while sitting on his but in the infield dirt. Or starting double plays from his stomach, for example.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Great Moments in Southern Hospitality.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)