May 8, 2012, 8:41 PM EDT
As expected, the Mets placed catcher Josh Thole on MLB’s new 7-day disabled list Tuesday evening following his collision at home plate Monday with the Phillies’ Ty Wigginton. Thole must either return in seven days or be disabled for an additional week.
Veteran Rob Johnson was promoted from Triple-A Buffalo in a corresponding roster move to provide depth behind fill-in backstop Michael Nickeas.
Thole is batting .284/.356/.370 with one home run, four doubles, six runs scored and seven RBI through his first 92 plate appearances this season. The Mets aren’t sure yet how severe the 25-year-old’s concussion might be, but it certainly looked bad.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)