May 8, 2012, 5:25 PM EST
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Nationals GM Mike Rizzo has been hit with a fine in an undisclosed amount for his comments about Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels following L’Affaire Old School the other day.
If you don’t recall — and that would be understandable given how little attention we’ve devoted to this since Sunday — the comments included calling Hamels “classless,” “gutless,” “chickens**t” and “fake tough.”
I bet what really brought the fine, however, was the comment about how Hamels “doesn’t know who he’s dealing with.” Which could be construed as a threat. Well, that and the fact that I really don’t think baseball wants its top executives out there talking smack on general principles.
Rizzo has commented on the fine:
“I think I’ve said probably enough about Cole Hamels. I’m going to stand by my statement and just move on.”
This ends the matter in official channels. Whether it’s truly over as an on-the-field matter won’t be answered until May 21, when the Nationals come to Philadelphia. Which should be all kinds of fun.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)