May 8, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Nationals GM Mike Rizzo has been hit with a fine in an undisclosed amount for his comments about Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels following L’Affaire Old School the other day.
If you don’t recall — and that would be understandable given how little attention we’ve devoted to this since Sunday — the comments included calling Hamels “classless,” “gutless,” “chickens**t” and “fake tough.”
I bet what really brought the fine, however, was the comment about how Hamels “doesn’t know who he’s dealing with.” Which could be construed as a threat. Well, that and the fact that I really don’t think baseball wants its top executives out there talking smack on general principles.
Rizzo has commented on the fine:
“I think I’ve said probably enough about Cole Hamels. I’m going to stand by my statement and just move on.”
This ends the matter in official channels. Whether it’s truly over as an on-the-field matter won’t be answered until May 21, when the Nationals come to Philadelphia. Which should be all kinds of fun.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 44
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 42
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 26
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)