May 8, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
Colorado’s starting pitchers have combined for an NL-worst 5.75 ERA, so the Rockies are calling up a pair of prospects to join the rotation.
Alex White, who was acquired from the Indians along with Drew Pomeranz in the Ubaldo Jimenez trade last season, will start tonight. Christian Friedrich, who was the 25th overall pick in the 2008 draft, will make his big-league debut tomorrow night.
White got knocked around in his first taste of the majors last season, posting a 7.01 ERA while serving up 15 homers in 51 innings, but the 23-year-old right-hander’s numbers in the minors have consistently been very impressive. He’s posted a sub-3.00 ERA at every stop, including a 2.42 ERA and 49/13 K/BB ratio with just one homer allowed in nine starts at Triple-A.
Friedrich’s minor-league numbers aren’t so pretty, as his ERA was above 5.00 both last season and in 2010, but his secondary numbers have remained strong and the 24-year-old left-hander posted a 3.00 ERA and 27/4 K/BB ratio in 30 innings at Triple-A to earn the call-up.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)