Royals owner on rumors of team being for sale: “Nonsense”

May 8, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT

Royals logo

Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star writes that “the rumors and whispers are escalating again” about Royals owner David Glass potentially selling the team.

However, the former Wal-Mart president and CEO put an end to that speculation immediately:

Nonsense. I’ve never spoken to anyone about selling the club. I have no idea where that comes from. Who knows? But I have not been contacted by anyone. Everybody in baseball knows that I’m committed, and my family is committed; that we’re going to own the Royals, and that the Royals are going to be in Kansas City and that we’re going to make the team a contender again.

Glass added that he’s not even interested in selling a minor stake in the team, of which he became sole owner in 2000. Since then the Royals have had one winning season, going 83-79 in 2003, and have finished in fourth or fifth place in the five-team division 11 times in 12 years.

1. mississippimusicman - May 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Always the mediocre roster – always.

I actually root for the Royals a bit – those guys just keep going out there, game after game, even though there’s no hope they’ll get into the postseason. It’s like Bridge Over the River Kwai, over and over, all season: they may be in a nigh-hopeless situation, but they’re making the best of it.

2. buffalomafia - May 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

The Buffalo Royals would sound nice?

3. nategearhart - May 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Bummer.

4. AlohaMrHand - May 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Translation:I make money regardless of the record of this team and have no plans to make them better.

5. ajcardsfan - May 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM

David Glass, former President and CEO of Walmart – Destroying American made products and Royals Fans’ dreams since 1993

6. simon94022 - May 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

One of the very worst owners in sports.

7. chumthumper - May 9, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I used to root for the Royals, but now I just feel sorry for them. It seems anyone of value, they trade away.

All the trade deadline news to know