May 8, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star writes that “the rumors and whispers are escalating again” about Royals owner David Glass potentially selling the team.
However, the former Wal-Mart president and CEO put an end to that speculation immediately:
Nonsense. I’ve never spoken to anyone about selling the club. I have no idea where that comes from. Who knows? But I have not been contacted by anyone. Everybody in baseball knows that I’m committed, and my family is committed; that we’re going to own the Royals, and that the Royals are going to be in Kansas City and that we’re going to make the team a contender again.
Glass added that he’s not even interested in selling a minor stake in the team, of which he became sole owner in 2000. Since then the Royals have had one winning season, going 83-79 in 2003, and have finished in fourth or fifth place in the five-team division 11 times in 12 years.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)