May 8, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Zimmerman being placed on the DL is what motivated the Nationals to call up Bryce Harper, but obviously sending the 19-year-old phenom back to the minors ceased being an option almost immediately upon his arrival in the majors.
Instead the Nationals cleared space for Zimmerman’s return to the roster by placing Jayson Werth on the DL with a broken wrist that has a 12-week recovery timetable.
Zimmerman hit just .224 with one homer and a .668 OPS in 15 games before being shut down, but with Werth and Michael Morse both shelved by injures Washington can definitely use the lineup boost he figures to provide if healthy.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)