May 8, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Zimmerman being placed on the DL is what motivated the Nationals to call up Bryce Harper, but obviously sending the 19-year-old phenom back to the minors ceased being an option almost immediately upon his arrival in the majors.
Instead the Nationals cleared space for Zimmerman’s return to the roster by placing Jayson Werth on the DL with a broken wrist that has a 12-week recovery timetable.
Zimmerman hit just .224 with one homer and a .668 OPS in 15 games before being shut down, but with Werth and Michael Morse both shelved by injures Washington can definitely use the lineup boost he figures to provide if healthy.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)