May 8, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Zimmerman being placed on the DL is what motivated the Nationals to call up Bryce Harper, but obviously sending the 19-year-old phenom back to the minors ceased being an option almost immediately upon his arrival in the majors.
Instead the Nationals cleared space for Zimmerman’s return to the roster by placing Jayson Werth on the DL with a broken wrist that has a 12-week recovery timetable.
Zimmerman hit just .224 with one homer and a .668 OPS in 15 games before being shut down, but with Werth and Michael Morse both shelved by injures Washington can definitely use the lineup boost he figures to provide if healthy.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8