May 8, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Zimmerman being placed on the DL is what motivated the Nationals to call up Bryce Harper, but obviously sending the 19-year-old phenom back to the minors ceased being an option almost immediately upon his arrival in the majors.
Instead the Nationals cleared space for Zimmerman’s return to the roster by placing Jayson Werth on the DL with a broken wrist that has a 12-week recovery timetable.
Zimmerman hit just .224 with one homer and a .668 OPS in 15 games before being shut down, but with Werth and Michael Morse both shelved by injures Washington can definitely use the lineup boost he figures to provide if healthy.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)