May 8, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Zimmerman being placed on the DL is what motivated the Nationals to call up Bryce Harper, but obviously sending the 19-year-old phenom back to the minors ceased being an option almost immediately upon his arrival in the majors.
Instead the Nationals cleared space for Zimmerman’s return to the roster by placing Jayson Werth on the DL with a broken wrist that has a 12-week recovery timetable.
Zimmerman hit just .224 with one homer and a .668 OPS in 15 games before being shut down, but with Werth and Michael Morse both shelved by injures Washington can definitely use the lineup boost he figures to provide if healthy.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)