May 9, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, Dontrelle Willis left the Orioles. He says he did so with permission. The Orioles said he was AWOL. The team put him on the restricted list. Willis filed a grievance and his agent went off on the Orioles. That relationship looked to be over.
But cooler heads have prevailed: Jerry Crasnick reports that Willis has dropped his grievance and will rejoin the team.
The apparent reason: the Orioles are going to let him try starting. Word at the time was that Willis left the team for the precise reason that he wanted to start, not be a relief pitcher. Never mind that most people figure that the only shot Willis has of keeping a job in baseball now is as a lefty specialist.
So, peace in our time. I suspect that Willis is going to regret getting what he asked for, but at least everyone has stopped bickering.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)