May 9, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, Dontrelle Willis left the Orioles. He says he did so with permission. The Orioles said he was AWOL. The team put him on the restricted list. Willis filed a grievance and his agent went off on the Orioles. That relationship looked to be over.
But cooler heads have prevailed: Jerry Crasnick reports that Willis has dropped his grievance and will rejoin the team.
The apparent reason: the Orioles are going to let him try starting. Word at the time was that Willis left the team for the precise reason that he wanted to start, not be a relief pitcher. Never mind that most people figure that the only shot Willis has of keeping a job in baseball now is as a lefty specialist.
So, peace in our time. I suspect that Willis is going to regret getting what he asked for, but at least everyone has stopped bickering.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)