May 9, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Fried Chicken? Pfft! That’s yesterday’s faux scandal. Today’s Red Sox Nation tempest-in-a-beer keg is golf:
According to 98.5 the Sports Hub, Beckett went out for a round of golf last Thursday, just two days before he missed a scheduled start against the Orioles because of back stiffness … It’s a development that has predictably become fodder for talk radio stations in town, and Bobby Valentine — a weekly guest on WEEI — was forced to answer questions about Beckett’s golf game this afternoon.
It was “less than the best thing to do” if Beckett played golf, Valentine said.
Eh. This is going to become a thing, I presume, in which Valentine is accused of feuding with a player and Beckett accused of being me-first instead of team-first. But let’s head this off, shall we?
As Valentine himself said, Beckett missed the start for precautionary reasons, not because he was actually injured. Beckett said he probably could have pitched. So this should not be a golf or a Josh Beckett-related “scandal.”
It is, however, another instance in which Bobby Valentine’s complete inability to defuse a media-created controversy — those radio guys talking about the golf — by mouthing some managerly platitudes creates a problem where there need not have been one.
Keep the focus off your players, Bobby. It’s the first lesson of Manager School.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)