May 9, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
What is it with Cubs pitchers getting all surly after getting roughed up the Braves? Last year Carlos Zambrano kicked off a mini Operation Shutdown after Atlanta torched him. Last night Kerry Wood walked two Braves and gave up two more and the lead. Then he had himself a little hissy fit. Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports. Video of Wood’s comments below:
Kerry Wood walked off the mound and squeezed his glove before throwing it into the stands. He tossed his hat to the fans before disappearing into the dugout … His postgame media session lasted 45 seconds. He cut it off after a reporter mentioned the glove.
“Irrelevant, dude, and why the (bleep) would you even bring that up?” Wood said. “You guys have a good night.”
With that, Wood stormed away from his locker.
Yeah, silly to ask Wood a question like that given just how often players throw their gloves and hats into the stands. It’s a total dog-bites-man story.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)