May 9, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
What is it with Cubs pitchers getting all surly after getting roughed up the Braves? Last year Carlos Zambrano kicked off a mini Operation Shutdown after Atlanta torched him. Last night Kerry Wood walked two Braves and gave up two more and the lead. Then he had himself a little hissy fit. Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports. Video of Wood’s comments below:
Kerry Wood walked off the mound and squeezed his glove before throwing it into the stands. He tossed his hat to the fans before disappearing into the dugout … His postgame media session lasted 45 seconds. He cut it off after a reporter mentioned the glove.
“Irrelevant, dude, and why the (bleep) would you even bring that up?” Wood said. “You guys have a good night.”
With that, Wood stormed away from his locker.
Yeah, silly to ask Wood a question like that given just how often players throw their gloves and hats into the stands. It’s a total dog-bites-man story.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8