May 9, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
What is it with Cubs pitchers getting all surly after getting roughed up the Braves? Last year Carlos Zambrano kicked off a mini Operation Shutdown after Atlanta torched him. Last night Kerry Wood walked two Braves and gave up two more and the lead. Then he had himself a little hissy fit. Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports. Video of Wood’s comments below:
Kerry Wood walked off the mound and squeezed his glove before throwing it into the stands. He tossed his hat to the fans before disappearing into the dugout … His postgame media session lasted 45 seconds. He cut it off after a reporter mentioned the glove.
“Irrelevant, dude, and why the (bleep) would you even bring that up?” Wood said. “You guys have a good night.”
With that, Wood stormed away from his locker.
Yeah, silly to ask Wood a question like that given just how often players throw their gloves and hats into the stands. It’s a total dog-bites-man story.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)