Mariano Rivera had a blood clot in his calf

May 9, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT

We now know what the “complication” was in Mariano Rivera‘s exam the other day: he had a blood clot.  Here’s how we know this:

source:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that they’re all standing next to each other, in Rivera’s presence, looking kinda funny tweeting all at once. Hopefully they’re still wearing their fedoras with the little card that says “press” in it as they do it. And if someone can get a pic of that for me it would be epic.

Anyway, Rivera says that, while the clot “scared” him, it has already been dealt with and that, as soon as his leg loosens up some and he can get a better range of motion with it, he should be slated for surgery. As reported yesterday, this should not impact his recovery timetable at all.

1. ajcardsfan - May 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I’m glad they found it, blood clots anywhere on the body are never good. My grandfather almost lost his leg because of one.

2. brian32556 - May 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Thank God the Press was there to allay our fears! Yeah, where are those Fedoras – good call!

• bigharold - May 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

“Hopefully they’re still wearing their fedoras with the little card that says “press” in it as they do it.”

I don’t know, .. I think it sounds like Craig is a wee bit envious. Fedoras with press cards in the hat man don’t translate well over the Internet and I’m guess Craig feels a little left out. Besides, as we all know, Craig’s head could benefit from a fedora.

3. randygnyc - May 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM

My grandfather too had a blood clot. In his foot where they could not remove it and wasn’t accessible to blood thinners. Amputation wasn’t an option, he was 92 and wouldn’t have recovered. It eventually killed him.

• yankeesgameday - May 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Why would anyone give that a thumbs up? That’s super sad, and I feel real bad for his grandfather and his family.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM

It’s like facebook, unfortunately there’s no “I’m sorry for your loss” button

• drewzducks - May 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Let’s hope that this doesn’t kill Mo. Cuz 42 would be too young. Even for a Yankee.

4. rosesacl - May 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Randygnyc…. Way to bring the board down…

5. El Bravo - May 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Is it possible that this leg injury saved him from a much more horrible fate from the clot? I mean, those things can kill. Rest easy and come back healthy, Mo.

6. indaburg - May 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM

A blood clot can be very serious. It can travel to the lungs (pulmonary embolism) and kill you, or it can travel to the brain and cause a stroke. I am glad for Mariono’s sake that it was found. I wonder if he had it prior to the ACL injury, or if he had it all along. If he had it prior to the ACL tear, the injury may have ironically saved his life. (Is this irony? I have been debating myself on the definition of irony, but I digress.)

• cur68 - May 9, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Spot on, ‘burg. A goodly number of people get DVTs for no apparent reason, though they tend to be older, smokers, and less active than Rivera. Chances are, given the trauma to the knee, this was secondary to the injury, though.

• indaburg - May 10, 2012 at 7:02 AM

That RN degree I got is good for something, eh? :)

7. mybrunoblog - May 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Rivera is lucky the docs found it…..a writer on this site once made reference that YESnetwork reporters get news about the Yanks before others do because YES is Yankee owned.This story should put an end to that idea. Looks like everyone got it at the same time.

8. sportsdrenched.com - May 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Blood Clot killed my M-I-L…3 months after we were married.

So yes, that’s some serious stuff. Like other posters have said I wonder if they would have found hit had he not messed up his knee.

Maybe some of Doctor types can shed some light on whether being physicly active usually reduces the chances of blood clots. I mean, Mo is proffessional athlete and has been for years.

9. pellypell - May 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM

What the blood clot?

10. ihatelebron - May 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM

While cant say for sure…blood clot was a result of injury. I broke my ankle at age 30 and felt soreness in calf a few days later. Ended up being a blood clot. Mo will be injecting himself daily with blood thinners for the next few months.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3565)