Michael Pineda’s doctor told him he’d be 100% for spring training? Really?

May 9, 2012, 10:30 AM EST

pineda ap

Yankees pitcher Micheal Pineda got the worst possible diagnosis a couple of weeks ago when he learned he tore his labrum. But despite the fact that it has sometimes taken guys two years to truly come back from that — and has ended many more careers — Pineda told WFAN today that his doctor thinks it’s all good:

Q:  Is your hope that you’ll be ready to pitch next spring training?

A:  Yeah, the doctor before the surgery, he told me, “Hey no worries.  You can’t pitch this year, but I promise next year you’ll be ready 100 percent in spring training.” That’s what he told me before the surgery.

I suppose we should take Pineda at his word, but in my experience doctor’s don’t make promises like that. Partially because you can’t ever know things like that this far out, but also because doctors really aren’t big fans of being sued.

My doctor won’t guarantee me that the stethoscope won’t be cold. I have a hard time seeing a surgeon tell a professional athlete that his more-often-than-not career-ending injury will be 100% healed and he’ll be good to go in less than a year.

But hey, maybe Pineda has a better doctor than I do.

1. cereal blogger - May 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM

So the Yanks got gipped by the Mariners huh ? So maybe this will spur MLB into finally doing something about teams trading hurt players. Suurrrrreeee Seattle didnt know,,,,suuurrrrreeeee

• iman883 - May 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I’m a Yankees fan and even I don’t think the Mariners knew Pineda was hurt. Even if they did, Cashman has admitted that the Yankees gave Pineda their own MRI before the trade was official; if he was injured, and the Yankees didn’t catch it, that’s on them then.

• baseballisboring - May 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Yeah, I mean, why the hell wouldn’t they? Of course they gave him their own MRI. Unless Seattle just has wayyy better doctors then they couldn’t have known.

• bobdira - May 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Oh, absolutely. Any time the Yankees fuck up there’s a conspiracy. No way they would ever make a mistake, just ask freddie garcia.

• istillbelieveinblue - May 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Thank you, iman883. Even if Seattle knew, the Yanks have to catch something like this and nix the trade if they have too much doubt about his health. I thought they overpaid for him before he got hurt, as well.

• ThisIsBaseball - May 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I thought the consensus around Yankees camp was that he didn’t tear it until the last pitch he threw in that rehab start, where he felt a sharp pain?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Pretty much. As bsbiz notes below, they did a full MRI before the trade, he complained of soreness, came back and on the last pitch is when, speculated, he tore the muscle.

However, this defeats the narrative, so many people just conveniently forget the facts.

• bsbiz - May 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Considering the Yankees did at least one MRI on his shoulder and their doctors said it came out clean, I think your whining will be for nought.

2. uyf1950 - May 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I guess we’ll find out in about a year.

3. cur68 - May 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM

In other news, Jesus Montero (.275, 4HR, 16RBI) claims HIS doctor told him to “get out of my office and don’t come back till something’s falling off you!”. He’d gone in for a suspected case of dippydoodleitis after his hypochondria kicked in during a vintage Flintstones episode.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I know hyperbole drives readership, or something like that, but Pineda’s diagnosis was not the worst possible diagnosis. I’m not saying it was good news, but the doctors said the labrum tear was small, there was no damage to the miniscus and a lot of other words that doctors tend make up when talking to lay people. The general sentiment seemed to be that this was about as good as news could be when dealing with a shoulder injury.

Again, I’m not saying it was good news by any stretch. But many prognosises (?) seemed optimistic.

Also, the Yankees gave him an MRI prior to the trade and another when he first went on the DL. On the third MRI after his last rehab start there was an obvious tear. If the tear had been there earlier, it would have easily been seen. Maybe the Mariners feared he would hurt himself, but it appears that he did not actually hurt himself until he was under the Yankees care.

5. jfk69 - May 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I went to see my doctor for a check up. When i asked…How am i doing? He told me i am doing great and i should live to a 100..and would mind please paying upfront with cash from now on.
    Don’t tell anyone…I think my doc has a cash flow problem.

6. henryd3rd - May 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

You can guarantee that the Yankees will be monitoring Pineda’s off season conditioning regimen. They have so much invested in this young man no way he’ll be coming into Spring training weighing close to 300 lbs. Come on man! 300 lbs?

7. jfk69 - May 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

No really…His doctor told him that.
    I went in for very minor surgery and my doctor said…sign these documents in case anything goes wrong.
    I forwarded the 20 pages to my lawyer who called back and wanted to know why the other 20 pages of non indemnification papers from the anesthesiologistst was missing. Surgery went well. But the rehab is another story. That brings me to my rehab specialist. She told me i can’t pee now. But in six months i would pee 100%.

8. JustMeMike - May 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I think the blame for Pineda’s injury lies with the Yankees.

Not because they missed seeing anything on the Medical Evaluation pre-trade – there was nothing to see then. But when Pineda arrived in Tampa for Spring Training – he was told that he’d have to compete for a job!!!

Lay that one at the feet of Cashman then Girardi then Rothschild.

By telling the kid he was guaranteed of nothing – that he’d have to light up the charts and graphs and reports to keep a job that at the instant the trade button was pushed – the job was his.

But, nooooo – those Yankee dimwits said, let’s push him along and light a fire under him.

So the kid takes the mound and after a long winter – his body wasn’t quite ready to go full-tilt. Wow – where’s the velocity was the hue and cry on every back page of the New York papers. So what does the kid do –

He pushes himself – pushes him self harder than his body could take – and that readers is when he started to breakdown.

They could have said – you’re slotted in behind CC, or you’re slotted in behind CC and AJ (who they still had at the time), or even you’re slotted in behind CC, Kuroda, Hughes, and Garcia but you have the job.

But they didn’t – instead they lit a fire under the kid – the papers hollered Pineda could even start the season in AAA.

That was why his body said – we need a break – and that’s why he done for the year. I call that over-managing and flawed logic by Cashman and company. We already know how they think –

The Joba Rules – and his arm is cooked
    The Phil Hughes Rubberband effect – starter, relief pitcher, starter, relief pitcher – and his arm couldn’t deal with it.
    And now Pineda –

I wish they take a page out of the Nolan Ryan book – and let the guys pitch.

9. cogitobaseballergosum - May 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Of course your doctor won’t guarantee the stethoscope won’t be cold. It’s always cold. Clause 17-c of the Hippocratic Oath states that the stethoscope must be kept in a 38-degree environment so as to guarantee the deep breath the doctor asks for while applying the stethoscope to naked flesh.

10. romoscollarbone - May 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Lost in translation.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5165)
  2. M. Kemp (3564)
  3. J. Upton (2853)
  4. J. Kang (2839)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2737)
  1. C. McGehee (2736)