May 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
You know what I do whenever a controversial topic comes up? I ask myself “I wonder what Rob Dibble thinks of all of this?”
Dibble, not surprisingly, is a fan of mayhem. He said that if Cole Hamels wants to throw at someone “that’s Cole Hamels’ deal.” And added, “I kinda dig it.” Dibble also said that he approves of the whole “welcome to the big leagues” Old Time Baseball thing of throwing at a guy simply because he’s a rookie, noting that he did the same thing to Jeff Bagwell back in the day.
He also told some story about his Reds team once meted out justice to Dennis Martinez, hitting him several times in a game. Why? Because Dennis Martinez thew at Reds players once. Which … wait, I thought there was nothing wrong with that? Maybe that was just “Dennis Martinez’s deal!” I’m so confused!
But never mind that. Dibble has been there and he’s here to tell us how it is. He said “it’s a hard game and it’s made harder when people don’t understand … ” and then he sort of trailed off into DibbleSpeak. Including another reference to Stephen Strasburg‘s innings pitched limit being “crap,” which at this point you think Dibble of all people would stay away from, but I guess not. He never got around to what, exactly, we don’t understand.
Never change, Rob Dibble. Never change.
UPDATE: Within ten minutes of the article going up, The Common Man runs a tracer on Dibble’s anecdotes and reveals him to be, shockingly, full of baloney:
He never hit Jeff Bagwell as a rookie. He never hit Jeff Bagwell at all. Looking back at the game logs on BR.com, Bagwell was hit once by the Reds (on Sept. 20, 1991), by Jose Rijo, in his rookie season, and then never again while Dibble was on the team.
Also, Dennis Martinez had 2 HBP in his career. Now, they both were against the Reds, and they were in 1988 and 1990. So…yeah…I just don’t know what to believe in anymore.
(hat tip to HBT’s prodigal commenter, Halladay’s Bicepts, for the heads up).
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)