May 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
You know what I do whenever a controversial topic comes up? I ask myself “I wonder what Rob Dibble thinks of all of this?”
Dibble, not surprisingly, is a fan of mayhem. He said that if Cole Hamels wants to throw at someone “that’s Cole Hamels’ deal.” And added, “I kinda dig it.” Dibble also said that he approves of the whole “welcome to the big leagues” Old Time Baseball thing of throwing at a guy simply because he’s a rookie, noting that he did the same thing to Jeff Bagwell back in the day.
He also told some story about his Reds team once meted out justice to Dennis Martinez, hitting him several times in a game. Why? Because Dennis Martinez thew at Reds players once. Which … wait, I thought there was nothing wrong with that? Maybe that was just “Dennis Martinez’s deal!” I’m so confused!
But never mind that. Dibble has been there and he’s here to tell us how it is. He said “it’s a hard game and it’s made harder when people don’t understand … ” and then he sort of trailed off into DibbleSpeak. Including another reference to Stephen Strasburg‘s innings pitched limit being “crap,” which at this point you think Dibble of all people would stay away from, but I guess not. He never got around to what, exactly, we don’t understand.
Never change, Rob Dibble. Never change.
UPDATE: Within ten minutes of the article going up, The Common Man runs a tracer on Dibble’s anecdotes and reveals him to be, shockingly, full of baloney:
He never hit Jeff Bagwell as a rookie. He never hit Jeff Bagwell at all. Looking back at the game logs on BR.com, Bagwell was hit once by the Reds (on Sept. 20, 1991), by Jose Rijo, in his rookie season, and then never again while Dibble was on the team.
Also, Dennis Martinez had 2 HBP in his career. Now, they both were against the Reds, and they were in 1988 and 1990. So…yeah…I just don’t know what to believe in anymore.
(hat tip to HBT’s prodigal commenter, Halladay’s Bicepts, for the heads up).
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (104)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)