Shockingly, Rob Dibble is just fine with Cole Hamels throwing at guys

May 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

dibble1

You know what I do whenever a controversial topic comes up? I ask myself “I wonder what Rob Dibble thinks of all of this?”

Haha, actually, I don’t do that at all because that would be insane.  But CBS Radio in Philly did, and they asked him all about the Cole Hamels/Bryce Harper thing.

Dibble, not surprisingly, is a fan of mayhem. He said that if Cole Hamels wants to throw at someone “that’s Cole Hamels’ deal.” And added, “I kinda dig it.” Dibble also said that he approves of the whole “welcome to the big leagues” Old Time Baseball thing of throwing at a guy simply because he’s a rookie, noting that he did the same thing to Jeff Bagwell back in the day.

He also told some story about his Reds team once meted out justice to Dennis Martinez, hitting him several times in a game. Why? Because Dennis Martinez thew at Reds players once. Which … wait, I thought there was nothing wrong with that? Maybe that was just “Dennis Martinez’s deal!”  I’m so confused!

But never mind that. Dibble has been there and he’s here to tell us how it is. He said “it’s a hard game and it’s made harder when people don’t understand … ” and then he sort of trailed off into DibbleSpeak. Including another reference to Stephen Strasburg‘s innings pitched limit being “crap,” which at this point you think Dibble of all people would stay away from, but I guess not. He never got around to what, exactly, we don’t understand.

Never change, Rob Dibble. Never change.

UPDATE:  Within ten minutes of the article going up, The Common Man runs a tracer on Dibble’s anecdotes and reveals him to be, shockingly, full of baloney:

He never hit Jeff Bagwell as a rookie.  He never hit Jeff Bagwell at all.  Looking back at the game logs on BR.com, Bagwell was hit once by the Reds (on Sept. 20, 1991), by Jose Rijo, in his rookie season, and then never again while Dibble was on the team.

Also, Dennis Martinez had 2 HBP in his career.  Now, they both were against the Reds, and they were in 1988 and 1990.  So…yeah…I just don’t know what to believe in anymore.

(hat tip to HBT’s prodigal commenter, Halladay’s Bicepts, for the heads up).

1. kander013 - May 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM

There are only two kinds of people that wear sunglasses inside. Blind people and a**holes…

• Jonny 5 - May 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

3 kinds of people. You forgot one. People who are trying to hide the fact that they’re stoned out of their minds.

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - May 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

In Los Angeles is can be kind of disorienting trying to figure out if people are assholes or stoned/on coke/hungover or a hybrid.

• hasbeen5 - May 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

• baseballisboring - May 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

His picture just SCREAMS douche bag, I can barely look at it. He looks like Cabbie from the Howard Stern show.

• schmedley69 - May 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

You left out people who just has Lasik surgery.

2. icanspeel - May 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I’m sure it has nothing to do with the fact he was fired by the Nationals either.

• natstowngreg - May 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM

That the incident involved the Nats, who worked for the Nats (unfortunately), is just a coincidence. He could have been blabbering about an A hitting a Marnier, for all the sense he makes.

It is, however, one of those coincidences that proves the Gods of Baseball have a sense of humor.

3. aceshigh11 - May 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

This guy is such a douche. I remember watching him pitch as a kid (along with his fellow ‘Nasty Boys’ Norm Charlton and Randy Myers) and hating him. He was a prick then and a prick now.

4. Utley's Hair - May 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Well, Rob Dibble has never been anything but the voice of reason, now has he?

5. The Common Man - May 9, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I know this is going to shock a lot of people, but Rob Dibble is full of shit. He never hit Jeff Bagwell as a rookie. He never hit Jeff Bagwell at all. Looking back at the game logs on BR.com, Bagwell was hit once by the Reds (on Sept. 20, 1991), by Jose Rijo, in his rookie season, and then never again while Dibble was on the team.

Also, Dennis Martinez had 2 HBP in his career. Now, they both were against the Reds, and they were in 1988 and 1990. So…yeah…I just don’t know what to believe in anymore.

• The Common Man - May 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Bonus: Rob Dibble actually didn’t hit anyone in 1991.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Damn you and your bref.com skills, was just about to post the same thing.

Then again, are we really shocked that this blowhard would make something like this up?

• The Common Man - May 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Double Bonus: Rob Dibble hit one rookie with a pitch in his entire Major League career. It was Rey Sanchez in 1992. It’s easy to see how one could confuse him with Jeff Bagwell. Welcome to the Big Leagues, meat.

• Joe - May 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM

But Dibble didn’t say he HIT Bagwell, he said he threw one up and in and knocked Bagwell down, and that Bagwell lined out on the next pitch.

Which isn’t to say that Dibble isn’t full of shit, of course.

6. eshine76 - May 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t say: “He’s not Old School. Old School is throwing at a fan!!”

• willsolo - May 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Or fighting with your manager.

7. thomas2727 - May 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Dibble has no credibility. Ask him about the time he threw a ball at Doug Dascenzo who was running to first base. Dibble was mad Doug got the best of him and could not handle it like an adult.

Dibble always struck me as a guy that would hit somebody not for “baseball reasons” like to protect a teammate. But for personal reasons. Like somebody that hit him hard.

• schlom - May 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Dibble apparently hated the sacrifice bunt:

• schlom - May 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Start at 1:50…damn youtube linking!

• Utley's Hair - May 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Ah…the days before Cowboy Joe acquired the svelte figure we know him to be today.

• hasbeen5 - May 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Hating the squeeze? That’s not very old school.

8. unlost1 - May 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM

shouldn’t there be an investigation about bounties in baseball now?

9. marvinband9 - May 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Is the “dribble” that told Strassburg to suck it up when his tendon popped? I guess he won’t be welcomed at Nationals Park on “old timers”day for washed up analysts.

10. cur68 - May 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

“hat tip to HBT’s prodigal commenter, Halladay’s Bicepts”???? Dear Dog, tell me I’m having flashbacks to a darker time?

• stex52 - May 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

‘Cepts would be welcome back as far as I’m concerned. But if you think the Phillies’ fans are easy to troll now…………….

• cur68 - May 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I do miss his AM ATH rants on the Philly offence, however this loss is more than made up for by the absence of his irrational drunken tirades in the PM.

• nixonotis - May 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

It’s a shame, I’ve had such a hard time getting worked up enough to post here on HBT without the presence of my arch nemesis. It’s like Batman without the Joker, sure I could continue to fight crime here at HBT, but without Bicepts, what’s the point?

• natstowngreg - May 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Hate to admit it, but I miss Bicepts.

11. mybrunoblog - May 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM

On a ten scale of a-holes with ten being the highest, Dibble is a solid 9.

12. delawarephilliesfan - May 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Cole Hamels should not have hit Bryce Harper

I always feel it best to first state where I stand. Now then, I can’t stand Rob Dibble, but a lot of this “Dibble is full of crap” stuff sounds like “Spell Check”-esque attacks. (i.e. when people mock an argument because “remember” was spelled wrong). It seems to me the thrust of his comments are that he in favor of hitting batters. People have attacked that credibility because…..he did not actually hit Bagwell? So…..that means he is not in favor of hitting batters? Or that the stats shows he in fact was a nice guy?

I am sure Rob Dibble meant what he said, regardless of the proximity of his inside pitches.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM

The problem is that when someone’s argument is “that’s how it was done, in fact I did X back in the day so it’s okay to continue doing X now”, and someone proves you never did X, your justification is out the window. It’s one thing to say guys like Gibson or Drysdale used to intimidate batters by pitching inside, it’s another thing to directly call out an individual (Martinez) and say you specifically went after him when it’s not the truth.

• djpostl - May 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Except he never said he HIT Bagwell. He said he threw at him.

If someone is being “fact checked” the very least people should do is be clear about which facts are being checked, otherwise you come out looking like the tool you’re claiming someone else is.

Dibble is a blowhard douche bag by most accounts…but not on this one.

Is Johnny Bench an idiot/clown for tweeting the following?

“@Johnny_Bench5
        Hamels hits Nats Harper! My rookie year, Gene Mauch brought in Turk Farrell. He knock me down 3 times on 3 pitches. You gotta get back up!”

• delawarephilliesfan - May 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Again, I don’t like the at all, but if “X” = throw at guys, I don’t see why people are saying that was not the guy he was.

You may not see it thsi way, but you are claiming he was not an a-hole. Yes he was

13. tsi431 - May 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I just listened to it. He never said he beaned Bagwell. You misquoted him. He said on an 0-2 count he went high and inside and knocked him down. The very next pitch Bagwell lined out.

14. dawgpoundmember - May 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

i was over this story about 10am yesterday but i do actually wonder what bryce harper thinks about it

15. bbil2012 - May 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Bagwell and Dibble are from Connecticut. Maybe he drilled him at a baseball camp when they were kids and he just mis-remembered.

16. El Bravo - May 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Oh thank God! I was hoping some news, any news, would come about referencing the ORIGINAL DOUCHENOZZLE!!!! That’s right folks, Dibble is the very reason I created and maintain the annual douchenozzle lists. Nice job Rob! WOOOOOOOOO!!

For old timey sake, here’s 2010, partial year: Rob Dibble

2011:
    1. Luke Scott (hick; birther)
    2. Hank Steinbrenner (team isn’t rich enough and poor teams whine too much)
    3. Lenny Dykstra (drunk rambler; hates Mitch; racist)
    4. Carlos Silva (thinks he can play good baseball)
    5. Richie Whitt – Dallas Observer (thinks baseball is more important than family)
    6. Jay Mariotti (abuses women, always wrong, punchable face, stalker)
    7. Willy Aybar (repeated wife beater)
    8. Frank McCourt (ruined a franchise and won’t go away)
    9. Roger Clemens (wasting my mothaf@ckin’ money)
    10. Dan Lozano (for being such a cliché scumbag agent (allegedly))

2012:
    1. Randy Miller – South Jersey Courier-Post (abuses BBWAA privileges, HOF vote by submitting blank ballots; also invented superhero Saberboy, which is cool)

2. Luke Scott – perennial all-star douchenozzle. Luke says, “you don’t have to worry about me unless you’re a criminal or communist.”

3. Ryan Braun – for cheating and also for not cheating, either way we will likely never know the truth, and that is annoying.

4. Jon Heyman – CBS (for having a documented history of talking up and selling Scott Boras clients to ball clubs)

5. Nick Swisher – seriously, do I need a reason?

6. C.J. Wilson – Tweeted Napoli’s cell number as “prank” b/c Napoli said he was looking forward to hitting HRs off of him this season.

7. Matt Bush – DUI and for ruining his career

8. Joba Chamberlain – for thinking he is capable of using a trampoline with his fat toady ass
    [Joba’s addition was rescinded given how unlucky the poor bastard was and he was just trying to be a good dad.]

8. Bobby Jenks – DUI (influence mainly muscle relaxers…), amazing quote “When Deputy Sutphin asked Jenks if he had taken anything else other than the muscle relaxers, he told the officer that he “was going to be honest with you, I was just leaving Babes because I hit a car. I just had to get out of there.”

9. Delmon Young – Assault; anti-Semitism; generally just a D-to-the-nozz all around.

10. Pedro Gomez – BBWAA voter with no sense.

11. Cole Hamels – for beaning Harper for being 19 and talented.

12. Rob Dibble – because he shoulda never left this list as the inaugural douchenozzle.

• El Bravo - May 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Wow, now I realized that the I’ve passed 2011 by and it’s only friggin’ May. 2012 will be a record-breaking year for D’Nozzles.

17. dooshydibble - May 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

yes…you are all correct out there…the guy is an A-1 doosh….I live near-byhis hometown and know quite a bit about the guy…i won’t go into any personal attacks and drag any stories about his dooshyness out there but he loves acting like a goon and is the definition of a “telephone tuffguy”…he lives in LA now and loves the Hollywood lifestyle and its another chance for him to get his old ass(he’s like 64 years old now) in the news again….he loves pro-wrestling and dearly wishes that he could have been one of those cartoon characters except he’s too soft for that line of work. Let’s put it this way…his best buddy is now Jose Canseco…nuff said! You’d love to hear the story about how he left his x-wife and married my buddies x-wife who was married at the time as was he….total wormbag…hard to believe he is still being paid by MLB Radio. The stories he stells are always about how tuff he was back in his day and how he dominated….such a jackass boys!! A real-life Kenny Powers in our midst

18. dooshydibble - May 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

oh….and he always wears the sunglasses inside…went to a private party where he was there and wore all black with the sunglasses on and his motorcycle clown boots…such a poser…anyone who believes a word he says is just as much a donkey as he is

19. lameasish - May 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM

The only thing I want to do is kick Craig in his teeth. Phuck all you losers. Be prepared for this all the time when Craig decides he is the voice of reason. Btw, phuck you, try and ban me. Do you honestly think anyone that that has any amount of knowledge regarding the Internet, cannot get by a banning for this website..hahahaha

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4398)