The Red Sox P.A. announcer was killed in an auto accident

May 9, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT

red sox logo

Ugh, the saddest news for a voice you’ve probably heard but likely never knew:

Carl Beane, the public address announcer at Fenway Park has died after a car crash in Sturbridge. Worcester District Attorney Joseph Early says the 59-year-old died in a one-car crash on Holland Road Wednesday afternoon.

He had the P.A. job since 2003.

1. shaggylocks - May 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Aw man, that’s awful. Fenway just won’t be the same.

2. yodougmurphy - May 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, welcome to Fenway Park.”

• shaggylocks - May 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I don’t usually judge strangers on the Internet, but people who are giving expressions of condolences thumbs down are real assholes.

3. AlohaMrHand - May 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Thats horrible,prayers go out to his family

4. mybrunoblog - May 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Wow. Sad story.
    Red sox should go without PA calls to honor this guy.

• mybrunoblog - May 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Let me clarify. I meant go without PA for one game. Obviously the job needs to be filled but going no PA for one game would be the classy thing to do if it’s possible.

• chuckj1234 - May 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Yes silence is golden. One game for sure.

• Paul White - May 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Last year when Paul Splittorff passed away, the local Royals television broadcast team went silent for an entire inning. They still showed the game, but the only sound was from the game itself, no announcer said a word.

It was pretty much the most moving tribute they could have offered.

5. shaggylocks - May 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM

That man could roll his R’s like no one’s business.

6. randygnyc - May 9, 2012 at 5:03 PM

This isn’t one of the announcers (broadcasters), right?

Anyway, 59 is too young, even for a member of the Sox family. RIP. Condolences to his family.

• jwbiii - May 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM

No, he had the Bob Sheppard job at Fenway.

• aceshigh11 - May 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

“…59 is too young, even for a member of the Sox family…”

Real nice passive-aggressive, backhanded comment. Can’t help yourself, huh?

7. phillyfan4ever - May 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Go Yankees!

• El Bravo - May 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I’ve just posted this only to thumbs down you in text. Clicking just wasn’t enough.

• marshmallowsnake - May 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Giving Philly fans a good name.

• Gamera the Brave - May 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM

With ya Bravo, I wish I had the ability to re-code this page, just so I could thumbs-down that one about a billion times…

• natstowngreg - May 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Agreed. Well played, Bravo.

• Utley's Hair - May 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

That jagoff does not speak for all Phightins Phans.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the Beane family. It’s got to be tough losing someone so young.

• phipfwe76 - May 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM

And this is why people don’t like us Philly fans. Thanks.

RIP Beane. I’ve had the pleasure of making it to Fenway once or twice since 2003.

• aceshigh11 - May 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Okay, you’re officially a sick bag of shit. Congratulations.

8. amandamartino - May 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I just heard him this morning walking past Fenway on my way to work. Little did I know it would be for the last time. Creepy.

9. broadstbully - May 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

As a Philly fan, I’m disgusted by the ignorance and lack of compassion that some of my “fellow” fans display on a regular basis. I’ve never heard of Mr. Beane, but my condolences go out to his family and to Red Sox nation. phillyfan4ever, you are a pure asshole.

10. halladayslabia - May 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

He is no longer in TBSOHL.

• Utley's Hair - May 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

You’re still an a$$, so long after the target of your trolling has been gone.

11. cur68 - May 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I’m sorry to see this. Rest easy, man.

12. dmarzo1 - May 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I had the pleasure to meet him 25 years ago or so. He was a newspaper freelance guy i believe and i had an internship at the springfield mass newspaper and got a chance to cover a Sox game. Carl took me around Fenway Park and showed me the ins and outs of getting game quotes and the like…really nice and generous. I was excited when he got the pa job and distraught to hear this news

13. yanks33 - May 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I hate the Redsox…but thats some tragic news

14. jimmymarlinsfan - May 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

He died about 20 minutes from where I’m working. Terrible shame to hear and the way I see it, if it was your first time ever going to Fenway and you heard his voice you would think to yourself “that is how I would expect the PA announcer to sound here at the oldest but probably the most beloved ballpark in the land”

Rip

15. 24missed - May 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

This guy was fantastic at what he did. A voice that was part of the game and a voice that many of us will always connect with Fenway. It was electrifying to hear him announce the lineups. When I sit at home watching a game, I often imitate his voice announcing the players, because his voice rings so true in my head.

I taped a game I was at, just to hear what Remy and Don would say during the game. It turned out to be Tim Wakefield’s big win last year. I’ll hold that close.

I sure hope his family gets through these days the best they can.

16. jaysfan64 - May 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Just heard him last month as a guest on the FAN 590…. that is horrible news… condolences to his family…

17. gotampabay52 - May 10, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Sorry to hear. Hope this doesn’t start another curse conversation

Three legends off to Cooperstown