May 9, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
The end result was Molina taking a mid-90s fastball off his hand, which caused the always tough catcher to leave the game, but according to manager Mike Matheny an X-ray taken immediately afterward came back “clean.”
Matheny told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Molina will probably be examined further, but the fact that the Cardinals don’t plan to add another catcher to the roster along with little-used backup Tony Cruz is a good sign for now.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 44
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106