May 9, 2012, 9:54 PM EDT
Molina is not in Wednesday’s lineup, but X-rays taken late Tuesday night ruled out a fracture and MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch says the 29-year-old catcher is “cautiously optimistic” that he’ll be back in action for Friday’s series-opener against the Braves.
Tony Cruz drew the nod behind the plate on Wednesday in Arizona. And the Cardinals have a scheduled off day Thursday.
Molina is batting .302/.353/.528 with four home runs, four stolen bases and 16 RBI in 29 games this season for the defending World Series champs. He inked a five-year, $75 million contract extension this spring.
The Cardinals are also expected to get Lance Berkman (calf) back on Friday after a three-week absence.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)