May 9, 2012, 8:17 PM EST
A’s center fielder Yoenis Cespedes hasn’t played since Sunday, isn’t in the lineup Wednesday night, and might be out for a couple more games.
According to Jane Lee of MLB.com, the 26-year-old Cuban has been diagnosed with a strained muscle in the back of his left hand. X-rays and an MRI taken Wednesday morning ruled out a fracture, but the Athletics have listed him as “day-to-day” and are going to take it easy with him this week.
Cespedes is batting .245/.319/.434 with five home runs, four stolen bases and 21 RBI through the first 119 plate appearances of his major league career. He signed a four-year, $36 million contract this winter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)