A season with the Bluefish

May 10, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT

Bluefish

The tastefully named Craig Fehrman is spending a season with the Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League and is writing up his experiences for Deadspin.  His first entry is up today and it’s a good read.  Red Sox fans who still miss Joey Gathright’s single at bat from last season will be in for a treat, for he is back in independent ball.

I think my favorite thing, however, is the Bluefish’s GM Bob Goughan describing a weird one-game playoff his team was forced to play last season due to a hurricane as “Dadaesque.” When was the last time you ever heard of anyone in baseball call something “Dadaesque?”

Anyway, it’s a good read. As they say: Any work of art that can be understood is the product of journalism.

1. proudlycanadian - May 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

While you are in a literary mode, can you tell me if there is also a team called the Redfish?

• foreverchipper10 - May 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM

If there is one fish then by all accounts there must be two fish. I believe they can be a redfish and a bluefish.

2. redux23 - May 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

finally my 10 year old bluefish hat shirt gets some press

3. bigleagues - May 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM

As someone who spent about half my life in the downwind shadows of Bridgeport’s smokestacks, I can tell you that building a baseball stadium in that City has been a boon and a boondoggle. A boon because it strangely gave a City with virtually no contemporary relevance (other than being the first municipality in US history to file for bankruptcy protection) something.

The early success of the Bluefish allowed the City to justify building a medium sized multipurpose arena right next door which has been an unequivocal success, landing the SoundTigers, the Islanders AHL affiliate, UConn women’s basketball and tons of concerts and events year round. The Arena was the death knell in the New Haven “Mausoleum” which had long outlived its death sentence, but was located in far more hip and diverse entertainment City.

It was a boondoggle because the Harbor Yard project was singlehandedly responsible for a level of government corruption that would Chicago politicians blush.

I could write plenty on that subject but let’s just leave it with this . . . Harbor Yard was inspired by Camden Yards (I know hard to imagine, right?) But unlike Camden Yards attractive retro effects, Harbor Yards has a panorama that, at best, evokes the cityscape depicted in Blade Runner.

I can’t attend a game without my throat becoming irritated. And I’m not alone in that regard.

• bigleagues - May 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Here’s one view . . . http://blatherreview.mu.nu/archives/baseball-sm.jpg

• bigleagues - May 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

That’s a coal fired power plant in Right Field, btw.

• playballnyy - May 14, 2012 at 6:37 AM

How about a comment that’s actually baseball related? The bottom line Harbor Yard is it gave us somewhere nearby to enjoy a day out with the family watching some quality baseball. And it won’t empty your bank account. Any baseball fan should check it out at least once. The Atlantic League is considered the top Indy ball league in the nation. Major leaguers that have been through will tell you that its the best place to be seen by Major League scouts when the first go around didn’t work out so well. Right now the Bluefish are 12-5 with the best record in the league. There’s a good bunch on that team this season–something to get excited about in Bridgeport. You can also get excited about the oldest running movie theatre in the United States–The Bijou Theatre–and numerous restaurants frequented by folks that can appreciate the development going on in downtown Bridgeport. The newest is the Barnum Publick House; I’ll probably head there before the game on Friday. I’m also excited about the Steele Point development that already has major retailers lined up. Do I wish there weren’t smoke stacks ANYWHERE I decided to spend my time? Sure. But for god sakes, that’s so irrelevent. The trash, and bums, and piss all over Manhattan streets bother me too. And honestly, that view, that skyline, represents the industrial history of Bridgeport, which wasn’t too shabby. So you know what? I’ll take it…I’ll still sit there in Harbor Yard enjoying a beer, a dog, some good whether, and best of all a ball game, because that’s the bottomline to a baseball fan.

4. simon94022 - May 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Bluefish have an awesome logo.

It’s a shame the major league Marlins couldn’t come up with anything half that good.

5. jwbiii - May 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM

A few Bluefish you may have heard of: Ramon Vazquez, Ed Rogers, Pedro Lopez, Joey Gathright, Tobi Stoner, Joe Bateman, Rommie Lewis, Jesse English, Jonah Bayliss, and Jorge Julio.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5219)