May 10, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
The tastefully named Craig Fehrman is spending a season with the Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League and is writing up his experiences for Deadspin. His first entry is up today and it’s a good read. Red Sox fans who still miss Joey Gathright’s single at bat from last season will be in for a treat, for he is back in independent ball.
I think my favorite thing, however, is the Bluefish’s GM Bob Goughan describing a weird one-game playoff his team was forced to play last season due to a hurricane as “Dadaesque.” When was the last time you ever heard of anyone in baseball call something “Dadaesque?”
Anyway, it’s a good read. As they say: Any work of art that can be understood is the product of journalism.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)