May 10, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
Iannetta was injured while catching Jered Weaver in the no-hitter against the Twins on May 2 and didn’t start for three days afterwards. Since returning to the lineup, he’d gone 0-for-7 with a couple of walks, dropping his average from .220 to .197 and his OPS from .764 to .706.
The injury is really poorly timed for the Angels. Hank Conger, who would be the obvious choice to be called up to the majors and start in Iannetta’s place, is on the DL at Triple-A Salt Lake due to a sprained elbow. He was hitting .357/.390/.554 in 56 at-bats before getting hurt.
Until Conger is ready, the Angels will have to get by with Bobby Wilson and either Robinzon Diaz or John Hester behind the plate. Wilson has hit .222/.300/.222 in 27 at-bats as Iannetta’s backup this season. Diaz and Hester are minor league veterans without much in the way of offensive ability.
Meanwhile, Jeff Mathis, maybe the game’s worst hitter in his last couple of years as the Angels’ part-time catcher, has somehow managed to post a 1.050 OPS in his 20 at-bats with the Blue Jays thus far. Mike Scioscia is probably wishing he was still around right now.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)