Arizona high school forfeits game to avoid playing against a team with a female player

May 10, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

NO GIRLS ALLOWED

You can do anything you want to in this country. You can follow your beliefs and convictions in any way you choose and no one can tell you not to unless you’re breaking the law or hurting someone. It’s the beauty of America.

But you do have to remember one thing: if in doing so you reveal yourself to be a retrograde idiot, don’t get upset if someone says so. Which is what I am doing here, because the folks in charge of the Our Lady of Sorrows high school in Arizona are exactly that:

All second baseman Paige Sultzbach wanted to do was play in her school’s state championship baseball game tonight.

But because she is a girl, that won’t happen.

Sultzbach is a freshman at Mesa Preparatory Academy, which had been scheduled to play Our Lady of Sorrows Academy in tonight’s Arizona Charter Athletic Association state championship at Phoenix College.

But Our Lady of Sorrows, a fundamentalist Catholic school in Phoenix that lost twice to Mesa Prep during the regular season, chose to forfeit the championship game rather than play a team fielding a female player.

Our Lady of Sorrows had no comment. Wouldn’t matter if they did, however, because the reporter doing this story does not speak in Paleolithic-era grunts.

132 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. yahmule - May 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Fundamentalists of any stripe are an embarrassment to humanity. Eventually mankind might evolve beyond this ignorance.

• stultusmagnus - May 10, 2012 at 8:39 PM

“might” being the keyword

• hockeyflow33 - May 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM

nothing like punishing kids who worked so hard to get there to perpetuate idiocy

• myedayok - May 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM

The way I see it they thought they’re rather suffer the embarrassment of doing this than losing to them “AGAIN”

• nflfollower - May 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

“Fundamentalists of any stripe are an embarrassment to humanity? “…..that’s painting with a broad brush. How about extremists being bad? That would be easier to agree with. Fundamentalist isn’t necessarily a bad word. When it comes to the constitution I am a fundamentalist. When it comes to refusing to play against a girl, well that’s just ridiculous, and everyone except extremists can agree.

• lostsok - May 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

“When it comes to the constitution I am a fundamentalist” basically means you just cherry pick the stuff you like, like everybody on either side. Nothing is more lame or laughable than people that claim THEY know what the founders wanted.

Oddly, it always seems to be THEIR views and their views only.

Fundamentalist and extremists are synonyms now.

• redneckrick - May 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM

fundamentalist is basically equal to extremist. they are contextually used differently in the press and other media. and it’s not at all broad to say fundamentalism is an embarrassment to humanity. the ability to have an open mind is humanistic. fundamentalism is the opposite.

2. schlom - May 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I think you are all looking at this wrong. The school is not forfeiting because they refuse to play a team with a girl, they are taking a principled stand for all girls at their opponents school by refusing to play until that school forms a girls softball team. I for one applaud their decision for equal opportunity for all.

• sasquash20 - May 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Ok if that is true (and it may be true) then why do it now and not earlier in the year? These kids have worked hard all year to get to this point, why use the championship as a platform to push this agenda. Don’t penalize the kids.

• Old Gator - May 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Like most ideologically constipated idiocies from the left or right, this is a “principled stand” that merely damages other kids – you know, a diluted version of “let’s slaughter a quarter of a million innocent Iraqis to save them from their evil dictator” sort of thing, or “let’s put a bounty on George Zimmerman and dispense with the niceties of a trial” sort of thing.

Arizona is rapidly surpassing Kansas and the deep South as the last redoubt of the brain dead, atavistic and Neanderthal. And its governor is even uglier than Kevin Youkilis – it’s that freeze-dried complexion that makes the difference.

• danandcasey - May 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe that schlom’s comment is dripping with sarcasm.

• schlom - May 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Of course.

However it’s interesting that everyone wants to force one school to do something they don’t want to do (play against girls) while no one is interested in forcing the other school to field a girls softball team.

• skids003 - May 11, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Gator, I hate to disagree, but in the Deep South we have always been smarter than the Damn Yankees, they just think they are. Funny how all the industriaalization came south before the yankee Congress and Presidents moved it overseas. So you aren’t as smart as you always think you are.

I don’t agree with this decision either, but it’s not my place to rip them for it either. Again, it’s funny to me how liberals are the first to demand “equal rights” for all, and the first to attack anyone who wants to exercise them but isn’t along the liberal line of thinking.

• cggarb - May 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Thanks for the info, skids003. Your summary of industrial development and political science reflects well on your deep south education.

• pandebailey - May 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Schlom – stop replying, you are wasting everyone’s time. Your sarcasm doesn’t work and your responses – straight or sarcastic – just aren’t very clever.

3. mj1818 - May 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

This is a complete disservice to the players of that team. Whoever made that choice to forfeit should be ashamed of themselves, making it more their personal belief rather than for the kids. Idiots.

4. phillyphreak - May 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Maybe she couldn’t provide documentation to prove she’s not an illegal alien.

• phillyphreak - May 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM

^ sarcasm btw

5. randygnyc - May 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Paper- I disagree. Atheists and agnostics raised in radical liberal places such as Vermont and northern California are in fact indoctrinated in like minded schools/communities.

• paperlions - May 10, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Link?

I’m serious, I like being informed.

I agree that in principle it could be called indoctrination if people that felt you should be free from religious influence of others (i.e. against passage of laws based on a particular religion that are enforced on the entire populace regardless of religious affiliation) attempted to pass those values on to others. But being an atheist and knowing many others, you would be surprised how often the topic of religion comes up….pretty much only when it is forced on us….there are really a lot of better things to talk about that other people’s superstitions.

• Gamera the Brave - May 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

randy,
      Tell me more about your personal experience in Northern California – I have lived here for over 40 years, and perhaps my indoctrination into liberal, athiest dogma has made me blind to what is clearly obvious to you.
      Or maybe, just maybe, you are talking out your ass about stuff you don’t really know about.
      Again.

6. sackbombs - May 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Can we all agree that girls have cooties?

• jimbo1949 - May 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

What? A member of the He-Man Woman Haters Club?

7. bigleagues - May 10, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I once dated a girl who was on her high school boys wrestling team. She was better than roughly half the boys in her Conference.

Of course she had enormous mammaries on a rather petite frame that she had to try and hide, and I suspect that was just too much a distraction for most of those boys to overcome.

But in the context of baseball, if the girl can play, the girl SHOULD play. And there simply is no excuse nor justification for doing what the school did here.

8. simon94022 - May 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

It’s worth pointing out that this was not actually a Catholic school, despite the reporter’s use of the bizarre term “fundamentalist Catholic.”

The school is run by a tiny group of people who broke away from the actual Roman Catholic Church decades ago and have no standing at all under Church law.

• stex52 - May 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Thanks for the information. As a practicing Catholic, I was very upset by what the school did. I am glad to know they really aren’t.

• cggarb - May 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

They call themselves Catholic. http://ourladyofsorrows.org/

I understand why “Fundamentalist Catholic” irritates mainline Roman Catholic folks — in the same way that the terms “Fundamentalism Muslim” and “Fundamentalist Mormon (FLDS = Warren Jeffs)” also tar their mainline cousins.

I just don’t know if there’s a better alternative, particularly when it’s how the fringe churches label themselves. That’s the whole point of fundamentalism, isn’t it? Someone saying that THEY are the One True Church, Worthy of the Name.

9. mjay424 - May 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Do I agree with the decision to forfeit? Of course not. It’s lacking in all intelligence.

What I equally disliked was Craig’s bombastic self-righteousness.

So over the top.

• The Common Man - May 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Hi, you appear new to the Internet. Welcome.

• alldonesmith - May 11, 2012 at 5:53 AM

X-D

• alldonesmith - May 11, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Literally laughed out loud

• stex52 - May 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Great comment.

10. stoutfiles - May 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM

So if a girls lacrosse team chose to forfeit against a team with dominant boy players on it, would that be just as horrible? To be truly offended it has to go both ways. I, for one, do not like when boys play on sports set up for girls.

• nocryinginbaseball07 - May 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Why not? It’s not always possible to tell if the player with the pony tail is male or female. Does that ruin your enjoyment of the game?

• dcal4282 - May 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM

stout…I am only anwering this out of sheer morbid curiosity on whether or not you are legitimately this stupid, or being a troll. If the school in question did not have a boy’s lacrosse team, then yes that would be just as horrible. However, if they had a boy’s lacrosse team, then no, since the only reason she was playing on the baseball team was the lack of a girls team to begin with

• dcal4282 - May 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM

stout…I am only answering this out of sheer morbid curiosity on whether or not you are legitimately this stupid, or being a troll. If the school in question did not have a boy’s lacrosse team, then yes that would be just as horrible. However, if they had a boy’s lacrosse team, then no, since the only reason she was playing on the baseball team was the lack of a girls team to begin with

11. illcomm - May 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I should of read the original article but did not. I like the stance against not fielding a softball team. its hard to go against either school after knowing more of the details. they are both right n wrong in their own ways. this really come down to written rules n what is legal or not. Craig as a lawyer u should get that. new jersey had some rules not cleary defined n have since corrected some of the issues. in the end. it is a shame the kids did not play a game n get to have some fun.

• The Common Man - May 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

The previous paragraph, that thing you wrote, makes less sense than if I just started typing keys at random, in that at least I wouldn’t write anything as stupid, circular, or inane as “they are both right n wrong in their own ways.” There is literally nothing that Paige Sultzbach or her team did that was wrong, and I defy you to demonstrate otherwise. Preferably with something approaching sentence structure and an actual point. Go ahead. We’ll wait.

12. illcomm - May 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

The Common Man. aka. The Common A$$H@!#.

• The Common Man - May 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Well, at least that made sense. Not that you actually made an argument. And here we are hours later, and you still haven’t learned to use the “reply” button.

13. hammyofdoom - May 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM

For fucks sake there was a girl on my high schools football team the year we went 18-0 and won the state championship. I didnt play but from everything I heard she was the best damn tackler on the team. My mom and my aunt both played baseball through middle-school. Babe Ruth was struck out by a woman in an exhibition game. This isn’t so rare that this big of a fit needs to be thrown about it, its goddamn ridiculous.

• cggarb - May 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

You played 18 games in a high school football season? Was Roger Goodell the principal?

• bradmoss1 - May 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM

“… and won the state championship …”

14. phillyphan83 - May 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

fyi, there’s no reply button if you’re using the app and not on the website, as am I, and probably the other poster you’ve been complaining about.

15. bleed4philly - May 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Gutless

16. eaglesw00t - May 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Bah, they should have gone old school and plunked her.

• jimbo1949 - May 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Cole Hamels approves.

17. charbycharlie - May 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

They are only following the example Jesus set forth. I believe it is in Acts 5:32 -Jesus appeared to his disciples and said “Do not play baseball with a female” of course I’m paraphrasing. (smug). COME ON, LET THE PLAYERS PLAY!!!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Nah this is my favorite Jesus saying:

18. vallewho - May 14, 2012 at 8:38 AM

It’s Arizona…

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3113)