May 10, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT
Vladimir Guerrero recently asked for and received tryouts with the Indians and Diamondbacks, but neither team decided to sign him.
However, the 37-year-old former MVP has finally found a taker: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Guerrero has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Blue Jays that will be worth a prorated share of $1.3 million if/when he reaches the majors.
For now Guerrero will head to extended spring training and try to convince the Blue Jays’ decision-markers that he’s not washed up after posting career-lows in on-base percentage (.317), slugging percentage (.416) and OPS (.733) in 145 games for the Orioles last season.
Guerrero is basically only a designated hitter option at this point because he can’t play the outfield regularly and is brutal defensively when he does, but Adam Lind has been terrible and the Blue Jays could potentially move Edwin Encarnacion to first base to open up the DH spot.
UPDATE: Jonah Keri of Grantland notes that Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos was an Expos fan/employee, so there might be a bit of nostalgia in the signing.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 46
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 23
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)