May 10, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Carroll has started each of the past three games at second base, but apparently that was due mostly to Casilla being limited by a shoulder injury and instead Valencia is the one on the chopping block after serving as Minnesota’s starting third baseman since mid-2010. Last night the Twins demoted him to Triple-A.
Valencia was never a top prospect and a modest minor-league track record made it obvious that his strong half-season debut was largely a fluke, but he’s declined even further than expected since then both offensively and defensively. He’s played 266 games in the majors and hit just .262 with a .699 OPS, which would be poor production from a shortstop or a catcher and is downright awful for a third baseman who’s mediocre defensively on a good day.
On the other hand he’s 27 years old with more than 1,000 plate appearances in the majors, so a demotion to Triple-A furthering his development seems like wishful thinking. Valencia is what he is at this point, and that’s simply not a quality regular because he can’t hit right-handed pitching. With that said, he’s a career .325 hitter with an .859 OPS against left-handers and that type of production certainly has a place on a major-league roster if used correctly.
Francisco Liriano is at a career crossroads five months from free agency and Valencia may beat him out the door if the Twins can find a taker willing to trade even a mid-level prospect for him. In the meantime Minnesota will turn to some combination of Carroll, Casilla, and Trevor Plouffe at third base, which isn’t likely to be much of an upgrade.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)