David Robertson blows a save, but it’s not the end of the world

May 10, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

David Robertson blew a 1-0 ninth-inning lead, allowing four runs on three hits and a walk.  Here’s the New York Post this morning:

source:

Obviously it was going to be a big deal the first time Robertson blew a save in the post-Mariano Rivera world. But I do hope that no one loses perspective here and starts the “Robertson just doesn’t have the closer’s mentality” thing or spends too much time pining for Mariano Rivera. I mean, I haven’t seen it yet — and so far Robertson himself is saying that the fans are being great — but I fear it’ll be out there soon in tabloid and talk radio land, especially if he doesn’t save the next ten in a row or something.

Anyway, worth noting that Mariano Rivera has blown 73 saves in the regular season. He once blew a lead in the seventh game of the World Series.  It’s an occupational hazard. And David Robertson is an outstanding pitcher. If the greatest closer in the history of the world could blow 4-5 a year, Robertson is allowed to too.

1. El Bravo - May 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Preach C-Money, preach.

2. heynerdlinger - May 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Don’t forget the two blown saves in the 2004 ALCS!

• Kevin S. - May 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

In Game Five he inherited the tying runner on third with no outs. Tagging him with the BS was BS.

3. cur68 - May 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

yankeesfanlen spent the greater part of an hour yesterday telling me exactly what this post has to say. While I don’t disagree (but am, just to bait him to fury) I am shocked by reasonableness in a fervent sports team supporter of any stripe. Wow. Sweet reason from a die hard fan. Whodathunkit?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Sweet reason from a die hard fan. Whodathunkit?

baseball’s too long a season to get worked up over every loss like this. You’d end up having a heart attack before long. Or to put it another way, zen baseball:

• jimbo1949 - May 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM

As was noted on the broadcast last night, when Mo took over from Wetteland he had problems the first few times he closed. It’s a confidence thing, realizing that Mo (or Wetteland) isn’t there to back you up in case of trouble. Just got to learn to trust your stuff, and yourself.

4. funkygoorilla - May 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I knew from the bottom of my heart when I saw it was 1-0 in the bottom of the eight, and the Yanks couldn’t get any additional runs that this was going to happen. Im just glad it is out of the way, and D-Rob keep on keeping on. Robertson is lights out most of the time.

5. tpxdmd - May 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I know that this is like citing a pile of dung that you find on a sidewalk, but Michael Kay keeps banging this “three outs in the ninth are different than three outs in the eighth.” He’s done it on his radio show and he’s done it on YES.

I don’t know if I’m galled more that he has the reach that could potentially sway opinion or that he gets paid to talk about things about which he clears knows so little.

Oh wait, I know, it’s the potential that people may actually change their opinion based on something Michael Kay said.

In other news, I don’t really care for Michael Kay.

6. bigleagues - May 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Mariano blew a few other playoff games of note to . . . but no need for details here. We’re all well aware of the games to which I refer.

;-0

7. yankeesgameday - May 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Lame headline. I expect more from the post. It’s ny, go with the slightly obscure Broadway reference and use “Mo’s Better Blues”.

8. jehzsa - May 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Before the game started, I knew that that game would be decided in the 9th inning. It’s my psychic connection. I’m sure glad it did go to the 9th because I got to watch American Idol with my daughter.

As a Rays fan, I can hope for this. Robertson gets blasted in NY, the fans hate him, the media crucifies him, he gets waived and the Rays pick him up for peanuts next year.

Then the balance of the Universe gets restored.

• jehzsa - May 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I agree with you guys that disagree with me. Holly is exiting the competition tonight.

We can always catch the game, say…let’s see-two hours since start…. around the 4th inning!

9. number42is1 - May 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

And this is why i did not buy the post this morning. i KNEW this would happen. the guy is filling what is arguably the BIGGEST shoes in the history of the game. hes going to be nervous and make some mistakes. I got complete faith in Robertson. he will be just fine. just give the kid some time.

10. deathmonkey41 - May 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

The problem with Robertson is that he seems to have a compulsion to load the bases before getting three outs. I was pulling for him to be the closer, but it is possible he’s a better set up guy and Soriano should get the 9th. I guess we’ll find out eventually. And this “explosive” Yankees lineup has left enough guys on base this year to start an army- so there’s going to be a lot of close games.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Soriano doesn’t have a single 1-2-3 inning at all this year, and didn’t have many last year. Robertson has a better K rate, and an absurdly low HR rate as well. The best thing about a few of his last innings (last two not withstanding) is he stopped walking people. If he gets his walks under control, say 2BB/9 and that absurdly hit K rate (13+ last two years) he’ll be an elite closer.

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

(1) Some people will blame Robertson, but this loss has to fall on the Yankees offense. Perhaps their arms are tired from all the the cap tipping they have been doing in post-game interviews. This is not a team designed to win 1-0 games. Not that they can’t, but they need to put a few runs on the board.

(2) That Joyce HR is a flyball out in 29 ballparks. Even in Yankee stadium, if Swisher chose to jump for it instead of trying to play it off the wall, it is probably an out. Not blaming Swisher, just saying that Robertson hardly got crushed in this one. Seeing-eye groundball single, bloop single, walk, strikeout, sac-fly, wall-scraper HR (literally I think it bounced off the top of the wall).

So yes, it would be great if Robertson could get out without loading the bases first, and his WHIP will probably be closer to 1.4 than 1.0. That said, he should get the job done far more often than not, and he will have a pretty good bullpen coach (albeit in a leg brace) to offer advice and encouragement.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Also don’t forget, if Cano turns that double play, it’s likely that Soriano gets Scott out and Robertson faces the 6-7-8 hitters instead of 8-9-1.

12. mybrunoblog - May 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Previous post made great point about the Cano play. If the infield turns that DP the outcome of the game is likely very different.
    With that in mind Robertson is going to be a fine closer for 2012 and I am not worried about him at all.
    That said I am still lighting candles in front of my Mo Rivera bobble head praying for one last run with Mo in 2013.

13. bosoxfan1950 - May 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Michael Kay is the biggest jerk in sports broadcasting. I don’t really care for him either. I’d rather have a root canal than listen to his “Homie” blathering. I thought Johnny Most was overly biased toward the Celtics when he called their games. But Kay makes Most look like a Pulitzer Prize winner for objectivity in sports broadcasting. If they had one, lol.
    I get to watch many MLB games on TV here in the Philippines. Mostly Yankees games. When its YES airing the game, I turn the sound off. Sure, I miss a lot of the finer details but its worth it to not have to listen to that pompous idiot spew his “Rah, Rah, Yankees” drivel. Oh, even as a Red Sox fan I know the Yankees are a great team, but none of their players walk on water as Kay would have you believe.
    As for Mo, here’s hoping he rehabs successfully and comes back as his old self in 2013. I think. Lol.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2793)