May 10, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
On the heels of being swept in a three-game series by the Mets to fall to 14-18 on the season, the last-place Phillies are conducting a mini roster shakeup.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies will promote left-handers Jake Diekman and Raul Valdes and infielder Hector Luna before tomorrow’s game against the Padres.
No word yet on the corresponding moves, but Joe Savery has already been optioned to Triple-A and Laynce Nix could be headed to the disabled list with a calf strain. The Phillies will need to clear space on the 40-man roster for both Valdes and Luna.
Diekman, 25, has an 0.59 ERA and 22/3 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings with Triple-A Lehigh Valley this season while the 34-year-old Valdes has a solid 3.86 ERA and 26/1 K/BB ratio over 21 innings. They’ll be added to a bullpen which has a major league worst 5.59 ERA. Luna, who has previously appeared in the majors with the majors with the Marlins, Blue Jays, Indians and Cardinals, will serve in a utility infielder role.
The Phillies might not be done there, though. Salisbury reports that infielder Mike Fontenot “could also be on his way in the coming days.” Fontenot, who signed a minor league deal with the club last month, is hitting .319/.373/.447 with six doubles and an .819 OPS over 52 plate appearances at the Triple-A level. He would presumably share playing time at second base with rookie Freddy Galvis, who has looked quite capable defensively, but is hitting just .213 with a .578 OPS across 99 plate appearances.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)