May 10, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
On the heels of being swept in a three-game series by the Mets to fall to 14-18 on the season, the last-place Phillies are conducting a mini roster shakeup.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies will promote left-handers Jake Diekman and Raul Valdes and infielder Hector Luna before tomorrow’s game against the Padres.
No word yet on the corresponding moves, but Joe Savery has already been optioned to Triple-A and Laynce Nix could be headed to the disabled list with a calf strain. The Phillies will need to clear space on the 40-man roster for both Valdes and Luna.
Diekman, 25, has an 0.59 ERA and 22/3 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings with Triple-A Lehigh Valley this season while the 34-year-old Valdes has a solid 3.86 ERA and 26/1 K/BB ratio over 21 innings. They’ll be added to a bullpen which has a major league worst 5.59 ERA. Luna, who has previously appeared in the majors with the majors with the Marlins, Blue Jays, Indians and Cardinals, will serve in a utility infielder role.
The Phillies might not be done there, though. Salisbury reports that infielder Mike Fontenot “could also be on his way in the coming days.” Fontenot, who signed a minor league deal with the club last month, is hitting .319/.373/.447 with six doubles and an .819 OPS over 52 plate appearances at the Triple-A level. He would presumably share playing time at second base with rookie Freddy Galvis, who has looked quite capable defensively, but is hitting just .213 with a .578 OPS across 99 plate appearances.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 88
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 43
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 6
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 73
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement