May 10, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
On the heels of being swept in a three-game series by the Mets to fall to 14-18 on the season, the last-place Phillies are conducting a mini roster shakeup.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies will promote left-handers Jake Diekman and Raul Valdes and infielder Hector Luna before tomorrow’s game against the Padres.
No word yet on the corresponding moves, but Joe Savery has already been optioned to Triple-A and Laynce Nix could be headed to the disabled list with a calf strain. The Phillies will need to clear space on the 40-man roster for both Valdes and Luna.
Diekman, 25, has an 0.59 ERA and 22/3 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings with Triple-A Lehigh Valley this season while the 34-year-old Valdes has a solid 3.86 ERA and 26/1 K/BB ratio over 21 innings. They’ll be added to a bullpen which has a major league worst 5.59 ERA. Luna, who has previously appeared in the majors with the majors with the Marlins, Blue Jays, Indians and Cardinals, will serve in a utility infielder role.
The Phillies might not be done there, though. Salisbury reports that infielder Mike Fontenot “could also be on his way in the coming days.” Fontenot, who signed a minor league deal with the club last month, is hitting .319/.373/.447 with six doubles and an .819 OPS over 52 plate appearances at the Triple-A level. He would presumably share playing time at second base with rookie Freddy Galvis, who has looked quite capable defensively, but is hitting just .213 with a .578 OPS across 99 plate appearances.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)