May 10, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Stop me if you’ve heard this story before: Erik Bedard has been pitching well for his new team, but an injury forced him from a start and now his health status is uncertain.
In the 2012 version of that seemingly annual occurrence Bedard signed with the Pirates as a free agent and posted a 2.65 ERA with 37 strikeouts in 34 innings through six starts, but had to leave yesterday’s game in the second inning due to back spasms.
Here’s how Bedard explained the injury to Tom Singer of MLB.com:
It just locked up on me. You can’t move. It wasn’t as bad as the last time it happened. I’ll take some muscle relaxers, and should be better in a couple of days.
“The last time it happened” was 2008, when Bedard was pitching for the Mariners and pitched through back spasms with quite a bit of success before being shut down for the season in July with a shoulder injury that eventually required surgery.
In the three following seasons Bedard started a total of 39 games (with a 3.39 ERA), so the Pirates knew what they were getting into with a one-year, $4.5 million deal. They were probably just hoping he’d last more than six weeks in the rotation, particularly considering how good he’s looked in between injuries.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)