In which Andrew McCutchen scored from second on an infield single

May 10, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

Andrew McCutchen

What’s more extreme in this play? The awesomeness of Andrew McCutchen busting home from second base on a ball hit through the infield or the indecisiveness of Ian Desmond in not throwing the ball home in an attempt to nail him at the plate?

When I first saw it I thought that maybe the catcher wasn’t looking for the throw or was out of position, but … nope.

Speed + brain locks = fun.

1. thefalcon123 - May 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM

This post gives me the opportunity to post this again. Ray Lankford scoring the winning run from 2nd base by bowling over Darren Daulton on a groundout in 1991.

• gpatrick15 - May 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Ray Lankford would have been a decent LB in the old NFL. Today he’d be fined and banned for that.

• nightman13 - May 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Wow, even in a baseball blog you get people whining about the “sissification” of football.

If you really enjoy wanton violence play Call of Duty. Football deserves better fans.

• cur68 - May 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

You basically cannot show enough of Darren Daulton being knocked on his keister.

• Francisco (FC) - May 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Leave Daulton ALONE!

2. js20011041 - May 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I’m convinced that wearing your cap with a flat brim causes brain locks. Or is it that only brain damaged folk would wear their hat that way? In any case there is an irrefutable, scientific correlation between the two. Rays fans, watch out for Fernando Rodney. He’s twice as prone.

• hasbeen5 - May 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

When did the flat brim become cool? In my day, that got you laughed at. And my day wasn’t all that long ago.

• js20011041 - May 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I’m not sure when it started or why, but I remember watching college baseball 6 or 7 years ago and seeing a lot of it. I don’t get it. I think it looks dumber than wearing Ralph Wiggum’s rainbow colored, helicopter dunce cap, but that’s just me. Rest assured, it will pass though. Soon enough everyone will look back on this phase with wonder. Kind of like mullets.

• cur68 - May 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Just got an Indianapolis Clowns hat from the Negro League Museum. First thing I did was curve that brim down till I could do the Dave Stewart death-stare from under the brim. The whole flat brim thing looks dumber than Liza Minnelli.

• hasbeen5 - May 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Exactly. And aside from looking dumb, it reduces functionality. You get sun all up in your peripheral vision.

• nightman13 - May 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Now hats don’t fit as well either because they are being designed to be worn with flat brims. Stupid kids.

All I know is I will lose it if they start making pants designed to be worn around the knees. That = apocalypse.

3. Pierre Cruzatte - May 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

If I were king for a day, you know what I’d do? I’d make all the player names on HBT link to their respective B-Ref pages. Then I’d bully NBC and MLBAM into making the videos on HBT be less of a pain in the neck. (Then: world peace, with a carveout for my invasion of Canada.)

• cur68 - May 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

We’d just repel your invasion and burn your capital . . . again.

4. gorsk7984 - May 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

It sure looked to me like Desmond saw McCutchen round third too far, figured McCutchen would double back to third base and then Desmond would throw to third and nail McCutchen by 5 feet. When McCutchen broke for home, Desmond froze…”WTF is he doing?” Bad play by Desmond, but it sure looked like he did have a plan that 99 times out of 100 would get the runner who had rounded too far.

• jimbo1949 - May 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I suppose McCutcheon and the Pirates have been watching film and have seen Ramos’ inability to catch the ball and thought they would exploit that glaring weakness.

5. js20011041 - May 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM

• js20011041 - May 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Whoops, meant that as a reply.

6. Ben - May 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

In which I’m impressed Casey McGehee got a hit

7. Francisco (FC) - May 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Where have I seen this before…

8. rooney24 - May 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

McCutcheon is a fabulous player, and he did score on the play. But, that is horrible baserunning! He made the assumption that the throw would go to a different base and was rounding with the hope of going home if there was an error or anything. But, he shouldn’t have rounded that far when he saw the guy field the ball, as he would be out in nearly any situation (unless the SS freezes and then double clutches before throwing).

9. stairwayto7 - May 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Harper and the Natitudes are falling apart while the Bucs are exposing them for who they are.. THE EXPOS!!

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3469)